nineteen

"Is he asleep?" Ni-ki asked as he looked at Minhyuk. Areum glanced at the boy, "Yeah, he ate a lot just now. I'm sure he's already sleepy."

Ni-ki nodded before putting a briefcase on the table. She looked at him with a confused expression, "What's that?"

"Open it," he answered sternly. She furrowed her eyebrows, looking at him hesitantly. She opened the briefcase and widened her eyes in shock, "What the hell is this?"

A gun was in there with extra bullets. She immediately zipped the briefcase back, "Ni-ki. What the hell is this for?"

"Relax. I'm not telling you to kill someone or anything. The chief wanted me to give you a new gun. You've been using the current one for six years already."

She pursed her lips, still hesitant to even hold the briefcase. Ni-ki chuckled in amusement, "Maybe you can use it to shoot your dear boyfriend."

She gave him a death stare, "Stop being mean to Beomgyu."

"Areum, he's always working. I'm a man. He's a man. I know when my kind acts all weird. Don't you think he's a bit toxic?"

She rolled her eyes, "He's not toxic. He's romantic. He ties my hair, he sometimes surprises me at work. It's nice."

"Whatever. I still don't like him," Ni-ki said before leaving the room. She watched the door close before thinking back about what her colleague said.

Beomgyu? Toxic?

Oh please. He's the sweetest man I've ever known.

She sighed and kept the briefcase somewhere else, making sure it was out of reach for no one. Especially Minhyuk.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Ten people were killed. But Minhyuk wasn't the culprit?" Areum thought as she circled the words in her notepad continuously. She was sitting on the bench out in the hallway, leaning against the wall.

She stood up, still keeping her eyes on her notepad. A male figure bumped into her shoulder hard, making her groan in pain.

"I'm so sorry!" The male doctor apologised. She bowed at him to apologise until she realise it was Sunghoon.

"Oh? You're Detective Jung. The one who helped me catch Bae Yeona! You and Ni-ki helped me," he exclaimed. She chuckled awkwardly, "Yeah."

"Is she still in prison?"

Areum sighed as she put her notepad away, "She's still serving in prison. With the number of murders she committed, she'll stay there a lot longer."

Sunghoon nodded, "Is there anything I can help you with?"

She thought for a while before an idea crossed her mind. "About the ten kids who lost their lives in the school shooting. Who's taking care of the surgery?"

"Heeseung and I. Also with my other colleagues, Jay and Jake. Please, you can just call us by our names. You have helped us a lot before to solve Bae Yeona's case."

The sound of Heeseung's name made her frown. She brushed the thoughts of him away. "Take me to the ten bodies. Please."

Sunghoon nodded and led her to the mortuary. She stepped into the room, seeing Heeseung in his surgical scrubs.

She cupped her nose, smelling the blood that stained his scrubs. He gave Sunghoon a death stare, "Why did you even bring her here?"

"Why not? She's the detective investigating this case."

Areum ignored them as she approached one of the dead students. The body was already blue and cold. She noticed a choking bruise around the neck.

"So he wasn't shot?" She asked. Heeseung sighed, "This student was choked to death. Only two of them were shot. The others were killed by choking and stabbing."

If Minhyuk didn't do it, then there must be someone who probably wants to help him, by killing all of his bullies.

But who? Who would do this crazy job?

Are they obsessed with him? Or did Minhyuk personally ask them to do this? I mean, he's rich enough to pay for a hitman.

"Joo Minhyuk..." she trailed off, thinking of the possibilities. She turned around to face Heeseung, "You saw his parents came, right? His father looks familiar but I couldn't figure it out."

"You mean, Mr Joo? He's a politician like my dad. He's my dad's closest enemy. They're currently fighting for the electoral votes."

Yes, Joo Minsung! Why didn't I think of that? No wonder why my mom was dependant on him.

"What's wrong with him?" Heeseung asked again. She looked at him, "Something about Minhyuk's family seems off."