forty

Two days have passed. Areum's hands were trembling as she waited for Heeseung's father to arrive at the cafe. The son next to her sighed, "Calm down."

"I can't. I need to solve this case immediately. Minhyuk's parents still haven't noticed that we know they're the culprits. I'm just scared Minhyuk's life will be in danger."

Heeseung nodded, "Everything will be fine. I'll make sure of it."

She smiled and watched as he intertwined their hands together. The cafe entrance door opened, revealing Mr Lee in his expensive formal suit. The man exhaled heavily, "The traffic is awful today."

Areum stood up to bow at the old man. Mr Lee motioned for her to sit down, "I believe you came here to discuss something important."

"I have to solve a case regarding the school shooting that happened recently. We're suspecting the Joo family as the culprit," she spoke.

Mr Lee scoffed and leaned back against his chair, "What does that have to do with me?"

"Dad, only you can bring Areum into the company. You know how strict office security is. She needs to get into Mr Joo's office to find more evidence," Heeseung explained. The father tapped his finger continuously on the table, contemplating the plan.

"You can't refuse, Mr Lee. Didn't we have a deal before? I'll let you win the election and in return, you have to help me solve this case. This is your chance to beat them in the election."

The man nodded, "Alright then. Come on, we have to go now. I have to be at a meeting in an hour."

Heeseung and Areum exchanged relief smiles before following the politician from behind.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung parked the car next to his father's. He sighed and held the steering wheel, "I just want you to be careful, Areum. You have a dangerous job."

The girl glanced at him before flashing a smile. She nodded, "I'm used to it. It's to protect the people too. That's what the police do."

He chuckled before getting out of the car. He walked to her side and opened the door for her. "Come," he said before linking his arm with hers. They both followed Mr Lee into the lobby. A security guard bowed at the politician, "It's been a long time since you've brought your son, Mr Lee."

"I just feel like it," Mr Lee said politely before motioning the couple behind him to hurry up. As they all got into the elevator, Mr Lee turned around to face them.

"Mr Joo is at a meeting right now. He'll be back in 20 minutes. Make sure to come back to my office before then. Be safe, Areum. Heeseung, take care of her."

Areum and Heeseung nodded. The elevator door opened, revealing a young woman who shyly walked in. Mr Lee smiled, "Daeun-ah, are you here to see your father?"

"Yes, Mr Lee. Is he here?"

"I'm sure he's in his office. He doesn't have a meeting today."

The girl bowed to thank him before standing awkwardly at the corner. The elevator door opened again.

"The surveillance room is on this floor," Heeseung whispered into Areum's ear. The detective took a deep breath and bowed at the politician, "We'll see you later, Mr Lee."

The man nodded and mouthed, "Be safe."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

After a few minutes of searching, Heeseung and Areum finally reached the room that had a 'surveillance room' sign on the door. They both barged into the room, earning confused looks from the workers.

She took out her gun and pointed it at them, making them put up their hands in fear. She scoffed, "Turn off the cameras."

The workers stood frozen like a statue. Areum felt annoyed and took out her police badge, "Turn off the cameras."

One of the workers obeyed, pulling out the wires from the power source. "Delete the recording and keep the cameras off until I say so. If I find them on, your heads will be blown up."

The workers nodded in fear as they watched her and Heeseung leave the room. They both immediately rushed to Mr Joo's office, seeing the room empty and quiet.

"You'll start with the bookshelf. I'll start with the drawers," Areum ordered. He nodded and start taking out the books and files.

She rummaged through the drawers and saw an unknown file. What she noticed about Mr Joo was that he always keeps his files coordinated and wrote small letters to categorise them.

The unknown file was the only one without any stickers or letters. She opened it and saw pictures of dead students. "Heeseung," she breathed out.

She turned around and saw Heeseung turning on the computer. "What the hell are you doing?" She asked in surprise. He exhaled heavily as he kept his eyes fixed on the monitor

"I'm trying to search for more evidence."

She nodded and took out her phone before dialling Ni-ki's number. "What have you got? Are you alright?" The male detective instantly asked at the other side of the call.

"We've got enough evidence. Standby at the police station. I'll go there immediately."

"Areum, look. It's Mr Joo's text messages with a strange person. I think the person is a hitman that he hired."

"Print it," she said. He looked at her in disbelief, "Are you crazy? We got like 5 minutes left. We have to go!"

"I knew this is going to happen. Do you think I'll let you both go that easily?"

Oh no. Mr Joo...