thirty-eight

The bedroom was dark and silent. The only sounds that were heard were the sounds of raindrops falling against the window. Areum kept her eyes fixed on the ceiling, waiting for the man on the floor to say something.

Heeseung's eyes were already closed. She turned around and watched him from the bed, seeing his chest move up and down as he breathed at a calm pace.

Her lips curved into a big smile when she saw him sleeping like an innocent kid. Her body ached on the bed. What she needed that time was his hands to wrap around her body, his warmth embracing her.

She slowly got off the bed before cuddling him on the floor. He hummed in response and turned around before wrapping his masculine arms around her.

"You can't sleep?" His husky voice asked as he patted her back. She nodded and buried her face into his chest, inhaling the scent that she longed for.

"Do you remember our first kiss?" She suddenly asked. He smiled and pulled her closer. His eyes were still closed but his ears listened as she spoke what was on her mind.

"I fell hard for you that time. You were always this mean kid who keeps bothering me. Then, all of a sudden, you became sweet and caring. That's why I fell for you."

"I bothered you because I liked you," he said.

She smiled and intertwined her hands with his, playing with his fingers. He let her head rest on his arm and they both fell into a deep slumber, holding each other close.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

It was already dawn as the sun was about to rise. Minhyuk took a deep breath as he held his backpack. He stepped out of his room and saw his driver waiting for him at the stairs.

"Are you sure about this?"

The young man nodded, "If my parents suspect something fishy happening, just put all the blame on me."

"No, Minhyuk. I will take the blame. It's my job to take care of you ever since you were a little kid."

Minhyuk thanked him and they both scurried immediately out of the house. They both got into a car and the driver drove away, pressing full strength at the pedal.

After a while, they both finally arrived at the police station where Areum worked.

"Minhyuk, I can't come in with you. But if you need any help, do contact me."

"Yes, Mr Kim."

The boy ran into the police station, looking around for the familiar female detective. He stopped a cop and asked, "Do you know where Detective Jung is?"

"You mean Jung Areum? She's on her leave for a few days for her leg recovery."

He frowned and bowed at the cop to thank him. His eyes widened with a glint of hope when he saw Ni-ki walking through the hallway.

"Detective!" He called. Ni-ki frowned and shushed the boy, "Stop shouting!"

Minhyuk apologised and took a deep breath, "I need to tell you something but we can't talk here. What I'm about to tell you now is something important."

The detective nodded and led him to an empty room down the hallway where people would rarely enter. Minhyuk looked around and realised it was an interrogation room.

"What is it?" Ni-ki asked as he motioned for the boy to sit across him.

"I know who the culprit is for the school shooting."

Ni-ki's heart dropped and he leaned forward, "What the hell are you saying? I'll arrest you if it's a playful lie."

"I'm telling you the truth," the boy said before taking out a gun and the dead student's picture. The detective gasped and watched as the boy took out a file from his backpack.

"Where did you get this? How?"

"I've been suspecting my parents for a long time now. I just got the chance to investigate in my dad's office last night. Please, you have to solve this case immediately. I think my mother is going to harm Detective Jung."

"What did your mother do yesterday?"

"My mother was mad at her. She said that Detective Jung knows her secrets but she wasn't sure which one. I'm sure Detective Jung meant that she knows who the school shooting culprit is."

Ni-ki exhaled heavily and thought for a while, "I have to go meet her now. Put everything inside the bag now."

"Can I come with you? I need to know what is her plan because only I know how my parents will make a move to harm someone. Maybe I can help?"

"It's dangerous. What if someone sees you visiting her? Isn't that harming you too?"

Minhyuk frowned, "Please, I'm done staying silent with my parents' crimes. There are much more crimes that they did but I didn't do anything to stop it."

The detective sighed and took out a mask from his pocket, "Wear this. I'll get you a cap to hide your face. During the ride to her house, stay close to me and lower your head."

The boy nodded and they both went out of the room.