forty-four

The emergency room was filled with the workers encouraging Daera to push the baby out. Jake and Areum stood at the back, hoping that the baby was fine and healthy.

The room suddenly became silent before it was noisy again with the sound of a baby crying. The detective exchanged happy glances with Jake at the back.

"It's a boy! Congratulations, Director Kang!"

Daera exhaled heavily and closed her eyes, feeling tired. The worker handed her the baby and she kissed his head.

"It's so sad that Jay can't watch this," she frowned. Areum approached the bed and held the director's hand, "What's his name?"

"Park Daehyun."

"That's a lovely name," Jake smiled, "Can I hold him?"

Daera gave him Daehyun, watching as he sang a soft lullaby to his new nephew. Areum felt her chest becoming tight. She imagined a moment like this with Heeseung.

It made her upset and sad that he wasn't awake to watch the moment with her. Jake noticed her sudden frown and gave her the baby, "Hold him."

"I shouldn't—what if I hurt him?"

"You should. Just act like it's a practice before you're holding your baby with Heeseung."

Daera couldn't help but smile at the comment, "Jake's right. Besides, you're dating Heeseung so you're automatically our best friend too."

Areum gave in and admired Daehyun's small face. "Hi, Daehyun-ah! You're so small."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"So tell me, Areum. What is the worst case you have handled," Daera asked as she ate her fried chicken. Jake was slurping his noodles as he waited for the detective to answer.

Areum thought for a while, "There was this one time, this man murdered women and ate them. We couldn't find any evidence at first but my colleagues suddenly saw blood dripping from the man's mini-fridge. That was where he kept the bodies."

Jake grimaced, "Do we have to talk about this while eating?"

"Uh, yes?" Areum and Daera gave him a death stare. The door to the room opened, revealing the Park siblings who barged in. Sunghoon followed behind them.

"Where's the baby?" Jay and Edlyn asked in unison. Daera smiled and pointed at the small bed at the corner of the room.

"Daehyun-ah," Jay burst into happy tears as he picked up his newborn son. Sunghoon examined Areum's expression, seeing her lips curved into a small frown.

He sat next to her, "It's okay, Areum. Heeseung will wake up."

She smiled at him and continued eating her rice.

I miss him.

She blinked her tears away and kept her gaze at the rice. Sunghoon handed her a tissue to wipe her tears. 

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

╔═══════════════════╗
a few days later.
╚═══════════════════╝

"Yes, Daera. I'll be right there. I'm picking up a few gifts for Daehyun," Areum said as she held her phone close to her ear. She was busy putting Daehyun's baby toys into the car with her free hand.

"Make sure you come! Jay bought lots of fried chicken for all of us. I'm sure you'll like it."

The call ended. Areum chuckled softly and got into the driver's seat before putting her seatbelt on. She sighed and glanced at the rearview mirror, seeing a scarf that she bought sitting in the backseat.

Please wake up, Heeseung. Then, I can wrap that scarf around your neck.

She stepped on the pedal and drove off.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Areum!" Daera ran to the detective as soon as she stepped into the house. Jay looked at his wife worriedly since she gave birth a few days ago.

"Daera-yah, be careful!"

Daera led Areum in and gasped at the toys that she bought, "Oh my, it's too much! Thank you so much."

Areum looked around and saw boxes of mint chocolate placed neatly on the table. She didn't dislike Edlyn anymore but she hated the mint chocolates.

She took a deep breath and flinched when Jay stood next to her. "How have you been?" He asked.

"I've been fine. I didn't have that much work to do since the chief told me to rest. But yeah, I've been fine."

She looked around, "I need to go to the toilet."

"It's right at the end of the hallway," Jay said and watched as she left him. The entrance door opened, revealing Sunghoon who just arrived.

They all were about to greet him until Heeseung appeared behind him. Edlyn gasped and looked at Jake in surprise. Daera couldn't hide her excited smile and faced Jay.

"What's wrong with you guys? It's like I'm a stranger," Heeseung said before sitting down. "You didn't even tell us that you've woken up!" Jake said before sitting next to him.

Sunghoon smiled and went next to Jay, "I can't wait for Areum to see him."

"Me too."