twenty-two

"That is all for today. Good work, Minhyuk," Ni-ki said before standing up from his seat. Areum was leaning against the wall, eyeing the boy. Her mind was filled with thoughts and questions.

Her colleague noticed something bothering her, "What's on your mind?"

They both left the boy's room as they walked next to each other through the hallway. "I have a feeling that Mrs Joo has something to do with the school shooting."

Ni-ki sighed, "Well, we can't be sure without proof. What makes you think of that?"

She stayed silent and watched as he walked ahead of her. "Hurry up. We don't want to be late to meet with Sorin. We have another case to handle," He said, still walking ahead.

She scurried towards him to catch up.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

They both arrived at a tall building that has a 'Han Group' sign on top of it. Areum took a deep breath and was about to walk in until a hand gripped her wrist.

She turned around and saw Ni-ki giving her a stern look. He looked around before handing her a gun, "Keep this. We don't know what the girl might do."

"Ni-ki, it's just a questioning."

"She was accused of attempted murder before. And her father bailed her out. We don't know what she's capable of."

She took the gun before putting it into her back pocket. They both stepped into the building and saw people walking in and out of the lobby with their colleagues.

A security guard was about to ask for their identity pass but stopped when Areum showed him her police badge. "I told her to wait at Meeting Room 7," Ni-ki said as he typed something in his phone.

She nodded, "I'm going to the toilet first."

She exhaled heavily and widened her eyes when she saw Sorin washing her hands at the sink. The girl smiled as she stared back from the mirror, "Hello, detective."

Areum stood next to her before turning on the water tap. Sorin sighed heavily and fixed her makeup, "Detective, we've met before right? When I was accused of attempted murder."

"It amazes me how comfortable you are talking about this topic, Han Sorin. You almost murdered a doctor and a student."

"I didn't. And if I did, I would be in prison now," she argued back.

Areum wiped her hands and faced her, "Because your father is rich and bribes the previous police chief. And here you are, involved with another murder case."

"I didn't murder my grandfather," Sorin gritted her teeth. "If your parents want to help you, they would have already stopped me from questioning you," the detective answered.

The girl clenched her fists and glared at Areum, "I didn't kill my grandfather."

Areum took out her phone and showed her a video. Sorin's eyes widened when she saw herself stabbing her grandfather in his office.

Areum pulled her phone away, "That is enough proof for us to investigate this case. You must be so stupid to not notice there are hidden cameras in his office."

"If you know I'm the one who killed him, why didn't you just arrest me right away?"

Areum smirked, "Because, it's more fun this way. Seeing you lying about the truth and begging for us to leave you alone. It's actually pathetic. All my hard work went to waste because I couldn't find any proof of you attempting to murder your professor. And now I have perfect proof. Are you going to cry for your father?"

"Get out in a minute. Or else I'll drag you out here myself for the questioning," she continued before walking towards the toilet entrance.

Sorin immediately wrapped her arm around the detective's neck before taking out a small knife. She held it against Areum's neck and was about to slice her throat open.

Areum instantly kicked her in the shin before pushing her away. "Han Sorin!"

Sorin swung her arm, the knife cutting the skin under Areum's eye. The detective touched the area as blood started trickling down.

"Look. Blood," Sorin giggled as she watched the blood in awe, "Are you going to arrest me, detective? Please arrest me," she teased again.

Areum felt anger boiling inside her. She lunged a punch at the girl's face. She took out her gun and pointed it against Sorin's forehead.

The girl quivered in fear, putting her arms up. Areum pulled the trigger, "Do you want me to shoot your head or in your mouth? Choose. I have no reason to keep you alive now."

"Please let me live," Sorin begged. Areum snatched the knife from her and held it against her neck, "You were going to kill me like this, right?"

Sorin stayed quiet. The detective kicked the girl in the shin again, this time harder than before. She grabbed a fistful of Sorin's hair before dragging her out of the toilet.

Ni-ki rushed to her, confused expression plastered on his face. "Jung Areum."

Areum pushed Sorin roughly and watched as she fell to the floor. "Do not be gentle with her, Ni-ki. She tried to kill me."