thirteen

Heeseung arrived at his house. To his surprise, Beomgyu was waiting for him in the driveway. Beomgyu immediately turned around after hearing Heeseung approaching him and lunged a hard punch in his face.

"What did you do to Areum?!" He asked full of anger. His heart was burning in the fire of anger as he grabbed his best friend's collar.

Heeseung coughed out some blood and groaned in pain, touching his bruised lips. "Beomgyu," he called.

"A disgusting girl who thinks she's ahead of everyone else? Seriously, Heeseung? I thought I told you not to hurt her!"

"How did you know?"

Beomgyu pushed his friend away before running his fingers through his hair frustratedly. "I was about to meet Areum and I saw her crying while walking home. She told me everything. You're so pathetic to think that she's disgusting."

Heeseung stayed silent, letting his friend vent out his anger. He knew he was at fault. He didn't want to tell his best friend the real reason he broke up with Areum.

The truth should remain unknown. Beomgyu glared at him, "I can't believe you can be this mean to her. Lee Heeseung, you are pathetic and you know that. You're the disgusting one and thinks that you're ahead of everyone else."

Heeseung smiled in pain, "Beomgyu, do you like her?"

The said friend remained silent, clenching his fists. Beomgyu glanced at him, "That is none of your business. Since Areum is bothersome to your grades in exams, I might be as well. I'll make sure to disappear from your life starting from today."

"Beomgyu-ah," Heeseung called him, hoping that he would stay. He watched as the said person left the driveway.

His tears slowly trickled down.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

╔═══════════════════╗
after the final exam ended.
╚═══════════════════╝

It was the day all the students went to school to get their exam results. Areum's family arrived at the school. Mrs Jung was greeting the teachers and giving them cookies that she baked the night before.

Areum's face was straight as she walked next to her father. Mr Jung noticed his daughter was not in the mood to even talk to her friends.

"Areum-ah, do you want to visit your class for the last time?" He asked.

She gave her father a hesitant look. Mr Jung linked his arm with hers before leading her to the classroom. Her eyes widened when she saw Heeseung with his father.

Mr Lee gave a side-eye to Mr Jung, keeping his stern expression. Areum bowed as a sign of respect, still quiet.

One of the things she regretted was sitting next to Heeseung. That meant she had to stand next to him.

"What time will they announce the exam position results?" Mr Jung asked his daughter. She glanced at her watch, "In fifteen minutes."

Mr Lee let out an amused chuckle, "Good luck, Areum. I know you will always score high in exams. Congratulations on getting second place."

Heeseung widened his eyes when his father said that. He avoided eye contact with his ex-girlfriend, embarrassed to even look at her.

Areum clenched her fists, "You should really watch your words, Mr Lee. Who knows? Maybe Heeseung will be the one getting second place. Or maybe even lower?"

"Jung Areum," Heeseung said sternly. She glared at him before leading her father out of the classroom, "Let's go, dad."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"I'm happy to announce to you the final results of the exam we had a few weeks ago. The exam that will determine our students' future pathways. I wish all of the students a bright future," the principal said.

Areum's family was sitting next to Beomgyu's. Mrs Choi became closer to Mrs Jung since they found out that they both shared the same hobbies.

"The student that got the first place is,"

"Congratulations, Jung Areum. I wish you all the best in the future," the principal continued, motioning for her to come up the stage.

Her heart dropped and she glanced at Heeseung. He was lowering his gaze as his father started whispering to him, probably scolding him. "Areum, go. Take your certificate," Mrs Jung said.

She stood up and slowly walked to the stage, bowing at the teachers and the principal.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum smiled at the other students that congratulated her. She held her certificate file close to her chest before stepping into the school field. She saw Beomgyu talking to his parents as he held a bouquet that was gifted by his mother.

She was about to walk to her parents until a voice stopped her, "Jung Areum?"

She turned around and saw Heeseung's mother smiling at her. "I'm sorry to approach you like this. How have you been?" She asked politely.

Areum kept a straight face, clenching her jaw out of annoyance. Mrs Lee sighed and lowered her gaze, "I just wanted to say that, Heeseung didn't take the breakup well."

Areum let out a scoff, "Is that my problem? He's the cause of the breakup."

She left the mother alone before making her way to her family. Mrs Lee stared at her, tightening her grip around her handbag. She glanced at her son who was standing alone at the corner, staring at his certificate.