seventeen

Areum was still stunned after seeing her mother. She thought Mrs Joo was struggling and trying to see her again. But who knew, the lady was already happy with her new family and had even forgotten her daughter.

She tilted her head to look at the night sky. The stars were twinkling as if mocking her for what happened. Mrs Joo was already wealthy and happy with her new husband and son.

Her father, on the other hand, have been struggling to pay for the house bills since he retired and was getting old. She was glad Beomgyu was there to help her family.

He visited them a lot to eat with her parents. And that was something her family adored about him.

She took out her phone and dialled Beomgyu's number. "Hello?" He picked up the call.

"Are you still busy?"

"The first meeting just finished. I might have to work until late at night. You should go home and sleep without me."

She tightened her grip around her phone, "You've been too busy lately."

"I'm sorry, Areum," he said blankly before ending the call. She exhaled heavily and closed her eyes, listening to crickets creating melodies.

The rooftop was empty and silent, creating a peaceful atmosphere. Suddenly, the silence broke as the entrance door opened.

Areum turned around and immediately stood up, seeing Heeseung standing at the doorway. He had a box of banana milk in his hand.

"I didn't know you were here," he muttered quietly, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. He was about to leave until she spoke up, "It's alright. I'll leave. You work here anyway."

He grabbed her arm, earning her by surprise. He realised what he was doing and slowly let go of her hand. She cleared her throat and avoided his gaze, lowering her head.

"How have you been?" He asked out of the blue. She finally made eye contact with him, looking at him in confusion.

"I've been fine."

He frowned, "Are you going to keep doing that? Hiding your feelings and not telling me anything?"

"What's the problem? What's wrong with me being like this? Is this the other reason why you broke up with me?" She scoffed, venting out her anger.

"I'm just asking–"

"I don't think I should tell you anything after you threw me away like trash in front of everyone else. The audacity that you had to even bring me to my favourite park."

She clenched her jaw and chuckled in amusement, thinking of the day they broke up. He even brought her on a date just to leave her.

"Remember when you said you're going to make my nose bleed if we ever meet again? Are you still going to do it?" He asked.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm–" Heeseung didn't even get to finish his sentence when Areum suddenly lunged a punch at his face. He cupped his nose in pain, seeing red liquid oozing out.

The rooftop door opened, revealing a female doctor. She had a worried look on her face, "Heeseung!"

"Edlyn, I'm fine," he assured her as he tried to push her away.

Edlyn glared at Areum, "Yah! Who do you think you are to hit him like that?"

"We had an agreement fourteen years ago. I don't think you should butt in other people's problems. It's rude," Areum answered before leaving the place. Edlyn scoffed in disbelief, "She's so rude. She can't punch anyone just because she works with the police."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum went into Minhyuk's room, seeing Ni-ki already asleep on the couch. She glanced at the boy who was watching the news on the tv. She sat on the chair next to the bed, "Kid."

The said boy purposely ignored her, keeping his eyes fixed on the tv. She groaned out of annoyance and smacked his wounded leg.

He was about to scream in pain but she immediately cupped his mouth, preventing him from waking the sleeping detective up.

Minhyuk's scream became muffled as he let out tears of pain. "What the hell?" He asked as she pulled her hand away.

"You're ignoring me. So I had to hit you."

"How can you hit people without any sense of guilt?"

"I don't feel guilty towards criminals. If your dad isn't going to hit you, I will."

"Don't you dare act like a big sister to me just because we share the same mother. It's annoying," he spat angrily.

"I'm not. I'm saying this as a detective and a person who works with the police. Do you think I'm going to let you off the hook? Ten people lost their lives."

Minhyuk lowered his gaze, "I'm sorry. Those ten people were my bullies. But I didn't kill them," he muttered quietly.

"Then, who did?"

"I don't know. I didn't even shoot anyone."

She sighed and leaned back against her chair. She examined the boy's expression carefully, realising that he was telling the truth after all.

"Is there any suspicious person that you saw?"

"There was this one person who came as a visitor. His face was hidden under his black cap."

She thought for a while, a smile creeping up its way to her lips, "See? Isn't this nice? You should've told us this earlier."

He exhaled tiredly before averting his gaze back to the tv. She stood up, "You haven't eaten anything yet. Is fried chicken okay?"

"See? You're acting like a big sister. It's annoying."

She smacked his head gently, "Just shut up and tell me what flavour you want."

"Honey fried chicken."