twenty-six

"I really had a great time talking to you, Jung Areum. Please do come to our house sometimes. I'm sure my wife would be happy to see you again," Mr Lee smiled as he sipped his coffee.

Areum chuckled awkwardly and nodded. Heeseung who was sitting next to her stayed quiet and poured himself some more coffee.

"I still remember when Heeseung first dated you. I heard him talking to his mother and screaming like a kid just got first place in class for the first time."

She couldn't help but smile at the words. The son blushed and drank his coffee, gulping it down in one go.

"Heeseung, remember the scrapbook you made for her? Did you give it to her?" Mr Lee suddenly asked, earning his son by surprise.

"You made me a scrapbook?" Areum asked as she looked at the doctor next to her. He cleared his throat, "We broke up so I couldn't give it to you."

She was about to ask more questions about it until he cut off her sentence, "Areum, dad, you guys should go. I have surgery to handle in a few minutes."

The dad and the detective obeyed and left the office. Areum stared at the scarf in her hand.

"You're gonna get cold. Wear this," she said as she wrapped the scarf around Heeseung's neck. The male smiled and gave her a peck on her nose.

"You have to keep this safe. It's a gift from my dad," she said again. Another kiss went to her nose. She smiled at him before hugging him, resting her head on his chest.

"No matter how many times we'll break up, I'm sure we'll find ourselves back to each other," he said out of the blue.

She frowned and pulled away, "Are you saying we'll break apart?"

"No. It's impossible. I love you too much," he said before leaning in for a kiss on her lips.

Areum brushed off the memory that crossed her mind. She kept walking until her face bumped into a tall figure's back. She apologised to Mr Lee for bumping into him until she saw Mr Joo and her mother standing in front of them.

"Ah, Areum. We meet again," her mother said. Her smile was creeping the daughter out.

"Mrs Joo, what brings you here?" She asked, forcing a fake smile out. Mr Lee eyed the younger detective, seeing her expression towards the Joo family.

"What do you mean? My son is staying here. I hope you have stopped investigating the school shooting case."

Areum scoffed and ran her fingers through her hair, "I didn't say I would stop."

"Your actions could affect your boyfriend's career, Areum. Think carefully," Mr Joo said, his voice started shaking out of anger. She arched an eyebrow, "I'm not saying your son is the one who shot the students. Who knows? Maybe you or your dearest wife did it?"

"Jung Areum!" Mr Joo was about to hit her but Mr Lee's hand blocked him. He stood in front of the detective, "Calm down, Mr Joo. We don't want people to see a famous politician hitting a girl, do we?"

Areum smiled and bowed, "Thank you, Mr Lee. I hope you win the election!"

The man nodded and waved at her goodbye before leaving the hallway. Areum gave a death stare at the Joo couple before turning around, leaving them.

"Since you have never taken care of me as a mother, I'll show you how petty I can get. If dad doesn't like it, I'm sure you won't," she mumbled under her breath as she stomped out of the place.

The mother scoffed in disbelief as she folded her arms. "Since when is she in Mr Lee's side? How did she even know him?" Her husband asked, feeling confused.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum arrived home and opened the entrance door. To her surprise, Beomgyu was already there in the living room, drinking wine.

"Areum-ah, I'm so sorry for this morning. I shouldn't have lashed out on you," he was about to walk to her but stopped when he saw the familiar scarf in her hand.

She slowly held the scarf behind her back, feeling her heart beating nervously. He scoffed, "Where did you get that?"

"I found it," she said before walking away. He rushed towards her and gripped her arm roughly, "I'll ask you one more time."

"Beomgyu, it hurts."

He squeezed her arm, his nails digging into her skin. She winced in pain, "Beomgyu."

"So you've been meeting Heeseung behind my back? I've been working my ass off to pay for the bills so that we both could live in a comfy home and this is what you repay me?"

"He just gave it back. There's nothing between us. I bumped into him at the hospital he's working."

"So you just casually go to his workplace?"

"Beomgyu, that's not what I was saying. You know how my work is. I have to go here and there. I didn't even know he works there."

He rolled his eyes and chuckled in amusement. She slowly freed her arm from his and tried to walk away. His muscular hand grabbed her by the waist. He leaned in for a sudden kiss on her lips.

She tried to push him away, pushing his chest off her. "Beomgyu, you're drunk," she mumbled as she struggled.

He felt annoyed and pushed her off him. It came out too aggressive and she hit her head hard on the floor. His eyes widened in shock when he saw her unconscious body on the floor.

"Areum!"