twenty-eight

"She fainted due to too much stress. We managed to take out the bullet in her shin. We also treated the wound on her head so you don't have to worry, Heeseung," Jay assured as he patted his friend's shoulder.

Heeseung exhaled heavily and nodded, "Thanks, Jay."

The younger doctor eyed him, "Don't you want to visit her room?"

Heeseung looked at him with awkward eyes, hesitant to even step into the room. "Can I?" He asked with his quiet voice. Jay chuckled and patted his back gently, "Go. Nothing is going to happen."

Jay watched as his best friend took slow steps towards the bed, approaching the unconscious detective. He smiled before leaving the room to give them some privacy.

Heeseung's breathing started trembling. His hands shook continuously, afraid that he was going to hurt her just by holding her hand. He sat on the chair next to the bed and caressed her hand, "I forgot how soft your hands were."

He saw a strand of hair on her face and was about to move it. He moved closer and stopped himself from touching her face. He noticed his free hand still caressing hers and let go.

"We're not dating anymore. Why am I being like this?" He laughed at himself. "Who did this to you?" He asked, concern filling his voice.

"You shouldn't be a detective. It's too dangerous for you," he nagged, smacking her arm gently. He stopped talking as his smile faded. He stared at her face, a feeling of longing filling up his chest.

He looked at her lips, remembering the time they both kissed for the first time. He traced her facial features and admired her for a while.

The room was quiet and peaceful. He slowly leaned in and closed his eyes, his heart telling him to kiss her. His brain immediately stopped him, making him realise his actions. He instantly pulled away and cupped his mouth.

"What the hell?" He cursed at himself before rushing out of the room.

Areum slowly opened her eyes and held her chest, breathing in and out. She turned over to bury her face into the pillows.

Kyaaaaaaa!

What just happened?!

He was about to kiss me!

She kicked the mattress continuously but then realised her shin was wounded. She groaned in pain, regretting her actions. She turned back around and stared at the ceiling.

"If he kisses me then what will happen next? Do we just let it be?"

She held her chest, feeling her heart pounding. She could even hear the pounding sounds. She glanced at the window, seeing the night stars twinkling at her.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Areum limped her way to a familiar room. She opened the sliding door and sighed, making her half-blood brother startled, "Yah! You can't just barge in here."

She rolled her eyes at Minhyuk and leaned against the wall, folding her arms. The boy eyed her up and down, "What happened to you?"

"Accident happened. I'm here to ask you about something."

He gulped in fear, "What is it?"

"Is your mother coming today?"

"No. She and dad had some work to handle. Why?"

Areum groaned out of annoyance and limped back to the entrance door, "Nevermind."

"Wait!"

She stopped and turned around to face him. He shyly looked away and cleared his throat, "Have you eaten?"

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung took a deep breath before glancing at his right hand. He was holding a container of Areum's favourite food, knowing that she would be hungry as soon as she woke up. He opened the door and widened his eyes, "Where the hell is she?"

He ran out of the room, asking all the hospital staff whether they have seen her. A thought crossed his mind, "Could it be?"

After a while, he reached in front of Joo Minhyuk's room. He inhaled deeply before opening the door, seeing the two siblings eating fried chicken while watching tv.

"Yah!" The doctor yelled angrily, annoyed to see them both together. She was supposed to stay in her room while waiting for the wound in her shin to heal.

"Why?!" Areum yelled back, still munching the chicken. Minhyuk dropped his chicken onto the plate in fear.

"Why did you come here? Your shin isn't healed yet! And you!" Heeseung pointed at the boy, "Shouldn't you eat something healthy? You're sick, young man."

The detective dropped her chicken to her plate and faced him, feeling annoyed. "If you come here just to nag at us then go, grandma. We're trying to eat in peace."

Her eyes averted to the container he was holding. He cleared his throat awkwardly before putting the container in front of her, "I brought your favourite food."

"Spicy rice cakes?" She muttered. "I figured you must want to eat your favourite food as soon as you wake up. So I went to your favourite restaurant where we always go to after school," Heeseung looked away, hiding his blushing face.

"But that's like far away from here."

Minhyuk who was watching them sighed, "Just get married already."

The two adults looked at the boy with horrified eyes before coughing to change the topic.