Family

I was walking up the drive of the firehouse

I was walking up the drive of the firehouse. Everyday I catch the bus from school and walk a block to the firehouse. It was routine a good one. "Can I help you" I ask the random man politely he looks me up and down "no little girl run along" I shrug walking inside clutching my bag. I didn't blame him most people don't want to talk to a kid when they come for the firefighters. "There's our girl" Herman exclaims loudly like everyday I walk into the common room and his in there. "Hey hermi" I smile back "we have talked about this kid" "have we I don't think we have" I say taking a apple from the fruit bowl on the bench. He just leans back shaking his head. It was the same conversation everyday when we saw each other for the first time, sometimes it happens after a call just for giggles but mainly just my first appearance. "You guys want anything while I'm here" I glance between him and Mouch who requested some chips to which I delivered. I down to my dads office, jumping up to peak through the window to see if his inside. I'm not quite tall enough to see without jumping. I open the door placing my bag beside his bed like normal only taking my phone. I walk back into the common room "hey Livvie how are you" Sylvie said from behind me I immediately turn around to see her and walk over and hug her. I love Sylvie hugs "I'm good how are you" I smile she nods "I'm fantastic my favourite person just got here" she said dramatically making me giggle "hey is dad in the garage or are they out on call" I ask "they should be out there" I nod racing off "guys mini Severide has returned" Cruz jokes when he sees me making me smile I sit beside Capp, Ferraris dealing the cards. "Can I play" I ask looking around. I occasionally play poker with them, we just bet with snacks which I have a huge problem eat. "Where's dad" "think his having a cigar with Casey" Capp told me making me nod. I knew if dad was smoking cigars not to interrupt. Something must have happened they usually at least wait until I'm here before. "Is everyone ok" "everyone is perfect...heard you have your first baseball game this weekend" Ferraris reassured me before distracting me. I smile gleefully "think your dad has invited the whole of Chicago" Cruz added looking at his cards "that wouldn't surprise me" I shrug looking at my own "we are going to win though so if you want to come" I just shrug smiling at I double Capps bet who looks horrified I even did it.

"You guys loosing to my daughter" dad said coming over kissing my head causing the guys to grumble in protest. "how was your day" he asks me "good" I nod smiling. We had played six games four of which I won, one Capp won and one Ferraris won. Cruz has been telling us this was his round but it's looking like it might be Capps round or he could just be a bluffing expert. "How did she even get so good" "grandpa Benny taught me" I shrug doubling the bet causing my dad to whistle "is that a good whistle or bad whistle" Cruz said alarmed making me giggle, I glance at Matt who was standing by the truck. I don't know if he was laughing at us or something else, we are going to pretend it's us though. "Ok ok I got this" "do you Cruz do you really because I don't think you do" I mock "shut up Livvie" he said making me shrug and the guys to let out a laugh again. The alarm goes off alerting us they have to go. I'm fact everyone has to go. Dad kissing my head before racing over "So I won" I say as they all jump up "not a chance liv I'm going to beat you" Cruz shouted. I stand by the table watching them all change effortlessly and jump into the trucks and ambulance. I wave as they drive out many waving back at me. Just me and Connie like normal when they are out. I go into my dads office grabbing my books and beginning my homework. I usually just do it while there away keeps my mind away from worrying.

"We are all good. Cruz is adamant to beat you though" dad said from the door making me laugh "what you working on" "English have to right an essay on what inspires us" "oh yeah what you thinking" I shrug "I have so many I don't know" dad lays down on his bed "give me a few maybe I can help" I give him a look of disbelief "I can help" he exclaims making me slowly nod I still think he knows I don't believe him though. "Um ok" I glance at the paper which I was been writing my listen of inspiring things and a brief summary of why, or maybe better the five pages. "First you" dad smiles cockily making me roll my eyes "next this whole firehouse you guys risk your life everyday everyone always makes sure I'm smiling while I'm here and that I'm apart of it" I watch dad carefully "first responders in general you all do amazing work constantly putting other lives above your own no matter the cost" he nods "Stella" "Stella" dad asks confused "yep I haven't had a mum since I was six and she's a strong independent woman who constantly inspires and helps me" he smile "chief because he has to put up with all of you" dad laughs "as you can see the further we go the less meaningful they get" "that's ok how long does it have to be" I glance at the paper telling me "up seven thousand nine hundred words although miss said she will accept six pages even if they aren't in the word count" he nods "why don't you just talk about the firehouse everyone here. You could also mention me and Stella in there. Could mention how some of us have a business on the side cause I know that's on the list as well" I nod "I could mention how you all make me try new things specifically Otis, Cruz, Herman, Mouch and sometimes Ritter I figured out long ago I'm kinda the one to force to try their random food because if I like it everyone else will give it a good...forgot to add Sylvie but she is an amazing cook so it's not like the others" he laughs throwing his head back making me smiles "when some of them cook it is scary" "but I'm more than willing to take one for the team although if I do end up in the hospital I mean I am more likely out of everyone I think I should be given something amazing" I rub my chin thinking dad just shakes his head chuckling "whatever you say kiddo" I smile nodding as he gets up "tell Cruz maybe later I'm going to write this" he nods kissing my head before leaving and closing the door.