Memorial

Stella didn't know the magnitude of today

Stella didn't know the magnitude of today. She braided both sides of my head but only the top leaving the rest out. She didn't understand why I locked myself in the bathroom crying afterwards. I put my patchwork dress on smiling. It's been the first year it's fit me but that doesn't mean I haven't tried.  

Mum made it for my big cousin Eris but when mum died she gave it to me claiming it didn't feel right keeping it away from me

Mum made it for my big cousin Eris but when mum died she gave it to me claiming it didn't feel right keeping it away from me. I left not long after before her or dad could talk to me. Then again dads knows where I'm going, the same place he is.

"He mum look it finally fits" I twirl showing off the dress to her "and Stella was kinda enough to help with my braids I'm still practicing I can't get them right in my hair I can do it on Annabelle though" I said before sitting down in my stop on the grass beside her. "Don't worry dad will be here to don't worry but for now it's just me" I add looking around it was a gloomy day. The dark clouds were out ready to shower the city of Chicago at any point. The cold breeze bring goosebumps up my arm making me instantly wish I brought a jumper of some kind. It had always been bright and sunny, dad always told me it was mums doing because she was sweet sunshine. "I wish you could be here mummy I'm so lost I can't pretend anymore" I burst into tears "I pretend to be so so strong and I don't even know why anymore" I curl into a ball just crying.

The felt arms around me making me instantly struggle. "Hey it's me it's dad" he said holding me close. It was always this one day a year that I would willingly cry. "So this is the great Samantha I hear about" Stella said making me jump and turn towards her. The tears stopped crying so hard but tears still fall. "Ruby" dad said sternly seeing my face I glance between him and her. I know I said I wanted him to tell her but why couldn't he do it on any other day. Why did she have to come. This was meant to be our day no one else's, just remembering her. I take off ignoring the shouts of my dad I couldn't not today.

I frantically knock on the door I was crying shaking angry sad a whirlwind. I didn't know if I was shaking because it was cold or because of how mad and upset I was. The door opens "ok ok calm down" Herman said I launch into his arms almost knocking him over. "Who's at the door" Cindy asks coming around however Herman doesn't get to say anything because I'm in her arms startling her. I cry into her arms pouring my hair "Olivia" she said like it's a question "hey kiddo what happened what's wrong...where's your dad" Herman asks at once's looking outside for dad. This causes me to cry even more. Cindy sat me down on the couch sitting down beside me holding me close while Herman sits on the coffee table opposite me. "Mummy died on this day" they look at each other "I know kiddo your dad always takes today off if we are working" Herman said before shrugging at the look Cindy was giving him "don't you and your dad always visit her" he proceeds to say I nod "I was there early sometimes I do that to spend more time with mummy" I sniff sitting up "he told Stella I told him to tell her...but today" tears run down my face at a rapid pace "he brought her didn't he" Herman asks I nod "it's meant to be me mummy and daddy not me mummy and Stella...he always told me it's him me and mummy day that's what he called it" I said crying heavily again "you know you don't have to save your tears for today" Cindy told me, I try to wipe my rapidly falling tears. Trying to steady my crying as I stare at you "you lost your mum that's not going to go away nor is anyone going to judge you for crying" she told me wiping my tears "and if they don't like that they can deal with me" Herman said punching the air making me let out a watery giggle."I can't dad will be sad and he has to be happy he hurt a lot and his just now being daddy again" I told them causing them to look at each other "Mummy was the best" "she was" they sigh "how bout you come in and we try to make your mummy's famous pie we can even get Annabelle to help" Cindy said making me nod.

Herman calls Kelly who immediately comes over. "She ok" Kelly asks from the doorway Herman glances back "yeah she's trying to make Sam's famous pie" he steps outside closing the door confusing Kelly. Kelly rubs his face he was worried about Olivia going out of his mind. "Kelly you know I love you man" Kelly sighs "you brought Stella" Herman said shocked "she told me to tell her" Kelly said confused "from what I got she's happy you told I think it's the bring her that threw her over the edge she told us that she can't grieves because that makes you said well she didn't say it like that she only cries today...you use to call it Ruby Dad and mum day I filled in the blanks of how you would put it I think she's just overwhelmed" Herman told him making him rub his face. "Come on man" Herman lead him inside going and grabbing a beer for both

"Mummy use to always bake she taught me she made the yummiest things" "your mum was always the best baker I always told her to open a bakery" I smile "she wanted to but always said she was making me pretty clothes to wow daddy because those clothes in shops just weren't good enough" I said Cindy laughed "oh that does sound like your mum" "she claimed that she was sunshine daddy had to be moonlight because he was the worst in the morning she liked to joke that he couldn't be a firefighter cause he didn't like waking up that early...and I I was starlight vibrant and perfect just like a sea of stars...there was some disagreements" "oh yeah what about" Cindy asks as I move beside Annabelle "well daddy was so sure that I was more of an asteroid than a perfect star mummy eventually won dad always let mum to win" I told them "what would I be" Annabelle asks "oh a star" "Henry, James and Luke are asteroids they are to ugly to be stars" Annabelle said making me laugh.

"Dad gives the final vote his an expert on mums cooking" I put the plate in front of him. He smirks looking between the pie and me. He raises a fork tapping it with mine before trying it. "It's not good is it" I said when he doesn't say anything "we'll it's not your mums" I sigh frowning "but that's ok it's a Ruby Special" he said making me smile "Ruby special" I repeat "your mum had Sam specials it's only right you have your own specials as well" Cindy said as her, Herman and Annabelle sat down to try it. "What was mums favourite flavour she always said everything was her favourite" "she loved everything but her absolute favourite was lemon and she loved smelling the lavender it's why we had so many lavender plants it was her favourite smell" "I love lavender" I said smiling "you always smelt like lavender after having out with your mum with a hint of it was like marshmallow or something sweet" Herman said "she was also always carry the biggest Daliah or had one in her hair" Cindy added "mummy's favourite flower was yellow Daliahs...yellow Primrose mainly yellow primrose she loved them" I said smiling "yellow was your mums favourite colour" dad said smiling "that's why you called her sweet sunshine" I add smiling "come on let's go on an adventure just you and me" dad said grabbing my hand pulling me. I smile laughing maybe this day was going to turn out how I hoped.