Ordinary

There was nothing special about me

There was nothing special about me. I mean sure I knew basically everything about a fire. I knew if it was toxic by the smell, how to get out of one. Dad and uncle Matt taught me how to get out said to not always follow teacher or the person in charge unless they are trained because people panic. I knew how to escape a fire when I was three. I loved watching my dad or Matt train with the guys. I wish they would let me do it but no I'm forced to watch.

"Do you think I'll be a good cop jay" "yeah" he shrugs we were in his truck on our weekly Wednesday chat thingy. I don't know what to call it. "Why do you asks" he said as he sipped his drink switching his hands effortlessly as he drove "I don't I like helping people I just don't know how I want to and I don't want being a firefighter to be the safe option because I know everything" "would be shocked if you did tell me would they accept it if you put the firehouse on your application" I laugh "no idea then there's the legacy stuff I just grandpa was an amazing firefighter from what I heard and dad is same as everyone else" "my dad didn't want me to be a cop but you constantly tell me how great of a cop I am" I shrug "oh I don't know I think Adam is getting up there with how awesome he is" he laughs shaking his head "ruz not possible" "ohh I don't know Maybe even Kev" he just smirks.

Jays radio goes off making him look at me. This wasn't the normal I'm sorry I have to drop you off look. He doesn't say anything as he flicks the lights on driving fast. I was panicking "put this on and stay in the truck" he said handing me a vest "why do I need this if I'm staying here" "precaution when we pull up I need you to get on the floor or lean down just so no one sees you" he glances behind up for a second but never looked at me "what's going on" I didn't know how to understand all the police codes it just sounded like a confusing bunch of mumbo jumbo to me. "Uh I'll explain shortly" he glances at me "do you have your headphones" I nod "ok put them in full blast like how your dad tells you are going deaf that loud" I nod "I'm going to lock you in here don't get out ok do not open the door for anyone...if you hear someone try to get in" he leans over opening the glove box "you know how to use it" I nod "good keep the safety on" I took the gun out of his hands into my shaking ones. "You know I would take you to the firehouse if I could" I nod "don't open the doors I'll tell them to call your phone" I nod he squeezes my arm "your going to be fine I'll make sure of it" he helped me get into position on the floor so I wasn't seen. "You will be fine I promise" he assured me passing me my headphones "all the way up" he reminded me making me nod before passing me the gun "don't pull it out until you need it" he said getting out putting his vest on.

I did as he said and had my music at full blast. I couldn't hear a thing. My eyes were darting to every window jumping when I see movement. I assured myself it was just cops walking past. I have no idea though. Jay said not to get up so I won't. If dad taught me anything that I'm going to remember forever is to always listen to cops and firefighter and doctors I also know most of them.

My hands clutch the gun with my head resting on the seat. I had turned my music down to hear the truck. I hear the door open making me tense. I don't know how I moved so fast, my shaky hands somehow held the gun steady at the person. "Hey hey it's Adam" I open my eyes looking at him to see he had his hands raised in surrender. "Can I just take this" he moved slowly taking the gun putting it it's in his waistband, before he helped me out. My bad was to the truck with him right in front of me. "Remind me to kill him he never mentioned a gun" I weakly smile "are you ok" he asked concerned probably noticing I was shaking. I didn't know how to answer that. "It's fine" he wrapped his arm around me "now jay is busy working the scene but you can come join the rest of us" he said giving me a gentle squeeze.

I don't smile. They all smile at me though. By they I mean Kim, Kevin, Al and Hank. "Hey" Kim said I nod going to look around "nope nope just look at everyone here" Adam said I just nod "where's jay" "he will be back" I think they all knew that Jay and I had a special connection. Hell everyone at the firehouse knew it. Jay just got me he helped me. I wasn't even meant to be here and now I'm shaking so much that I can't stop.

"Livvie" Erin said walking over and hugging me. I instinctively hug her back. "Your ok" she told me holding me. I truely thought that this fear had left me as i grew up but I guess it didn't. I guess this also answers my question of whether I can be a cop. I felt a hand on my back making me jump. "Heard you almost shot Adam" Jay joked smiling at me. I felt such relief in the joke that I don't even know how to explain it properly. I leap into his arms. I don't know how to explain it the feeling I mean, it's so similar to hugging dad but different more like big brother or an uncle. I just feel so safe and protected in his arms. "Your ok I told you I would make sure your safe" he said quietly "I felt like I was hidden under dads desk again" I said ashamed "that's ok I feel like that sometimes on cases only certain ones though and it's been years" he told me looking directly in my eyes. He held me there for a moment making sure I got the message. It was now that I realised that Erin was the only nearby everyone else had left. Erin couldn't hear a word of what we were saying. "Are you ok though" he asked "I don't know being there" "I know" he sighs "come on let's get you to the fire station" he said leading me over to the truck with Erin already waiting beside us.