| chapter twenty one. |

♚ CHAPTER TWENTY ONE ♚

"I'M GUESSING YOU SAW THAT?"

Yanagi returned to the supermarket after the incident a few minutes ago. He just came to a halt when he noticed a girl huddled next to a house with grocery bags near her feet. Her face was clearly terrified, but her eyes were blank.

After hearing Yanagi's voice, Shirofuku flinched. "Just a little bit."

Yanagi exhaled a soft sigh. He leaned down slightly to pick up two large grocery bags, while the other hand gently gripped her own. "Let's go." Shirofuku didn't respond, but she followed Yanagi's lead. Their atmosphere became extremely awkward.

"If you can, forget what you saw, or listen....."

She hummed softly. This is natural. Not everyone is used to seeing something like that.

Yanagi took him to a cafe that the people claimed was quite famous —based on Albert, the elderly man. It is almost lunchtime, so the cafe is quite crowded.

"You're hungry, right? Choose whatever you want. I'll pay."

Shirofuku's expression changed dramatically in an instant. The girl looked at him with sparkly eyes, as if asking again if she really could choose whatever she liked,  and was answered by Yanagi's short nod.

She immediately scanned each dessert display case, carefully inspecting each one before asking one of the waiters to take her order. "I'd like this. This too. Is there one with blueberries? Really? I want that too. That, that too..." She turned to face Yanagi, who was standing beside her. "Should we eat here or bring it to school?"

Yanagi glanced at the clock on the wall. It's lunchtime. "Bring it to school."

"Ok," Shirofuku continue to order again.

"Buy for others too."

"Hmm."

With Shirofuku eagerly ordering, Yanagi called out to one of the waiters. "Do you guys have strawberry shortcake?" he inquired, having overheard one of his underclassmen mention that he enjoys this type of dessert even though he has no idea who it is.

The waiter smiled, walked to a corner of the display case, and pointed to the dessert. "How many slices?"

"The whole cake," he answered. "Ah, tiramisu. Do you have any tiramisu?"

"There are several, which one do you want?" The waiter pointed the different types of tiramisu-flavored desserts several times. Yanagi remained silent. He took a close look at the various types.