Prologue

25th of December, 1914

"Papa, calm down...everything's going to be alright."

Sybil Crawley tries to assure her father as he paced back and forth across the library.

"I do hope everything's going to be alright," Robert Crawley said, facing the rest of the family as stops by the fireplace "And I do hope the baby is healthy and safe."

The Crawleys were all patiently waiting for Dr. Clarkson in the drawing room. Robert, his daughters Mary, Edith, and Sybil; his mother Violet, and his cousins Matthew and Isobel Crawley. Robert's wife, Cora, was in their bedroom, having a hard time giving birth.

Hours later, they all heard a faint cry from upstairs. Dr. Clarkson then came down to them a few minutes later.

"How is the baby, Doctor?" Robert immediately inquired "And what is the gender?"

"The baby is perfectly fine and healthy." Dr. Clarkson said "And...congratulations, Your Lordship. It's a healthy heir. A little boy."

Everyone in the library was surprised, even Violet herself. Robert's face brighten with joy, as he is the happiest man on Earth right now.

"Lady Grantham needs a few days rest." the doctor then advised "Her labor was quite difficult, especially for her age. But as of now, both mother and child are fine."

"Can we see her now, Doctor Clarkson?" Edith then inquired. The doctor nodded in reply, smiling.

"You can go on later." their grandmother, the Dowager Countess then said "Let your father have a look the baby on his own first."

Robert thanked his mother and, all before sprinting upstairs to their room.

***

Cora Crawley was evidently tired, lying on her bed. After hours of labor, he's here. Their little boy. The one they longed and prayed for, arriving on a beautiful Christmas morning.

She then heard a quiet knock on the door.

"Come in." she said tiredly.

The door then slowly opened, revealing the one she hoped in seeing first: her husband.

"Hello, my darling." Robert quietly said as he slowly enters and gently closes the door behind him.

Cora simply smiled at the sight of him. The smile across his face makes her tiredness go away somehow.

He sat down carefully beside her, admiring her and their newborn baby.

"Say hello to your son and heir." she finally said, holding up the newborn for him to see better.

Robert then saw their son up close. The little one was slowly opening its eyes, and his eyes were the same light blue eyes as his mother's, making Robert all the more emotional.

"He's so beautiful" he whispered to his wife as gently brushed his index finger across the child's little head.

Cora looks up at him "Are you happy?"

Robert looks back at her "Of course I am happy, darling. I am very, very happy."

She smiles sweetly at her husband, and gently kisses his cheek. Robert returned the kiss, then kisses her forehead as well.

"We've finally done our duty." Cora smiles at their son "He's finally here."

"Darling, we've already done our duty ever since Mary was born." Robert said, looking at her "Heir or not, I am happy that I now have four wonderful children with the woman I love the most."

Cora looks back at him, trying not to cry at his statement. Yes, they already have three wonderful and lovely daughters, and no matter if their youngest was a little boy or girl, they will all still love them and one another very much.

"Do you want to hold him?" She then asked. Robert nods, and carefully transfers their son from her arms to his.

The little boy then slowly opens his eyes, and saw his father for the first time. He yawns softly in his arms, making his father's heart melt. Robert smiles at him, and his eyes are similar to Cora's, a thing that makes his heart melt more.

"He has your eyes." Robert smiles.

"But he looks so much like you" Cora chuckles softly.

They then heard knocks on the door again. Cora lets them in, revealing their three beautiful girls.

"Is he really here?" Edith asked as they all sat around her in the large bed.

"He is," Cora nods, smiling at her girls "Girls, I want you to meet your little brother."

Robert gently laid the baby down beside his wife for them to all admire.

"He's so beautiful, Mama." Sybil said, smiling happily at her little brother "I can't believe I'm a big sister."

"You'll always be our little girls no matter what, Darling." Cora chuckles softly.

"He has your eyes, Mama" Mary then said, gently brushing her fingers across the baby's head "But he looks so much like Papa."

"Have you given him a name?" Sybil asked.

Robert shakes his head "No, we're still thinking about his name."

"What about Alexander?" Sybil suggested "Alexander is quite a unique name, and a very manly one as well."

"I agree with Sybil" Edith said "Alexander is the perfect name. And named after one of the greatest generals as well–"

"–which is Alexander the Great." Mary continued her sister's sentence.

"Alexander it is, then." Cora smiles, looking down at her son. Alexander yawns adorably and was feeling sleepy

"Alexander...Isidore." Robert then said "Alexander Isidore Crawley."

"Isidore? After Grandpapa?" Edith inquired, to which Robert nods in agreement.

"But why?" Sybil asked as well.

"I remembered something about what your Mama said last night" Robert smiles "On how he misses her Papa very much—and how much she wishes for him to see your little brother now."

The girls slowly frowned. They don't have much memories on their Grandpapa Isidore, but they know whenever he makes an effort to visit them, he always make some time to play and interact with them in every opportunity possible.

"So in honor of him, we should name his grandson after him." He continued, and looks at his wife "And if I am correct, it is a Jewish tradition to name a child after a beloved relative who died to keep their memory alive."

Cora was speechless, but felt very touched after her husband's speech. She didn't even know that a certain Jewish tradition exists, as she was raised Episcopalian. And for her husband to name their son after her father, is one of the most sweetest things he did for her.

"Are you alright, Mama? " Mary asked, making Cora snap back to reality and realized that she had tears running down her cheek.

"I am alright." Cora replied, quickly wiping her tears and smiles lovingly at her husband "I think the name is perfect. Alexander Isidore Crawley. Our little Prince."

Robert and the girls moved closer to them in an embrace, savoring their first moments as a family of six.