XIV

"Sorry if I'm late for breakfast. I just got back from putting the final touches on the dais and setting up the Queen's special seat."  The Viscount Downton announced as he the rest of the family at the dining hall for breakfast.

"Oh it's alright, we have just arrived–" Mary said, but came into halt when she saw him. The rest of the family looked at him, and mirrored her shocked expression.

"Why? Is something of the matter?" Alex looks at them, concerned.

"Your hair..." Mary started.

"...it's so...slick back!" and Edith finishes the sentence.

Alex sighs tiredly "Yes, yes, I did add pomade. I only put a little bit, but it's still very greasy on the hands even after thoroughly washing my hands."

"You look like a distinguished gentleman now." Tom commented, grinning proudly.

"Thank you," Alex smiles back "I feel like a different man, really."

"Nonsense. You're still the Alex we know and love!" Rosamund looks at him "Only a bit more handsome."

"I have to agree with that, unfortunately" Robert sighs, but smiles at him "But didn't it stain your hat?"

"It did. But only just a little bit" he replied "I did try to keep it off most of the time when I was out."

"Were any of the other chairs wet from the rain last night?" Bertie inquired.

"Not at all. They were all completely dry." Alex said as he drinks his juice "We just needed to dry out some of the railings and the stairs. But everything else is fine and ready."

"The Little Prince of Downton, working very hard today." Mary teased, making him chuckle softly.

"We ought to get ready now." Cora then said, standing up from her seat "The King and Queen will arriving in a few hours now."

"Are you excited?" Edith asks her siblings as they all followed suit as well.

"Excited and nervous." Mary said "I really hope everything goes well."

"And so do I." Alex smiles "The smoother the visit goes, the earlier I can take this greasy pomade off."

***

A few hours later, everyone was already set and changed for Their Majesties' arrival. Both the royal and household servants stood in line outside the entrance.

"Well, the day has dawned and the weather proves conclusively that God is a monarchist" Mary told Carson.

The old butler smiles in approval "Who could doubt it, milady?"

The Earl and Countess of Grantham then head out of the house with the rest of the family as well. On the other hand, Alex was feeling a bit proud as he wore his new tweed for the occasion.

His tweed had a special pin, placed on the left lapel of his jacket: the Crawley Family crest, in which it was a family heirloom, and was given to him by his parents on his tenth birthday.

"Here they come now." Cora then said.

Two gleaming cars were then arriving up to their drive. The first car stops the doors are held open, revealing Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary. Mr. Molesley, on the other hand—starts to hyperventilate.

"Mister Molesley?" Anna whispers to him.

"I'm a-alright" Mr. Molesley said shakingly "I just needed to c-catch my breath."

Cora then went for a deep court courtesy before the King and Queen.

"Your Majesties, welcome to Downton Abbey."