VIII

"Mama, look! I made you a paper plane!"

The Viscount Downton jogs up to his mother after the town hall meeting. Before that, he bid goodbye to his new friends as well, whom he promised to play with again soon.

"Thank you, Alex. That is very sweet of you." Cora smiles, look at the paper plane. It had various children's drawing of rainbows and flowers as its design as well.

"They insisted on designing it." the Viscount said "They want to say thank you to you for helping the hospital."

"Oh, how sweet of them as well! I'll be sure to put this by the dressing table later" Cora then held the paper plane as they head out of the hospital.

"Do you want to get some ice cream before we head home, Mama?" Alex asked her "It's my treat."

Cora chuckles softly "Let me guess, you got your five pounds now from Mary, didn't you?" hos son chuckles along, and nods in agreement.

"Don't tell your Papa about this" his mother chuckles softly "He'll be very jealous."

Alex then saw an ice cream cart from across the street, and went to buy some chocolate ice cream before heading back inside the car with his mother.

"I never had ice cream in a long while." Cora said as they hop back inside their car.

"Really? Papa never brought you ice cream?" Alex asked, clearly surprised at his mother's revelation.

"Not really. He never took me out on a stroll around the village."

"After all these years?! He never even took you on a simple date around the village?!"

"No, not yet." Cora chuckles softly as she takes a handkerchief and wipes her lips "Maybe one day, but we'll never know."

"Oh my goodness." was all the Alex can say as he tries to process everything that they just talked about.

***

As they arrived home, they heard giggles coming from the library. As they both neared the room, they saw Robert, running around with all of their grandchildren and trying to catch them.

Alex heard his mother chuckle softly as they watch them all play. He then looks at her and smiles, seeing her eyes twinkle with happiness and her smile has reached both of her ears, clearly falling in love with her husband all over again.

He had always admired his parents' relationship, on how they defied everything right from the very start. Sure, his Papa married his Mama for money—but then again, he was only human. He eventually admitting his love to her a year after their marriage.

He and his sisters had witnessed many moments where their parents' show their love for one another, and they consider themselves very lucky to have such loving parents—which makes moments like these all the more sweet and lovely.

"Granny! Uncle Alex!!"

Alex then snaps back to reality when heard his name, and saw the kids running towards them. He then kneels down and open his arms to them, giving them one big hug.

"Ah, you're here!" the Earl quickly fixes himself before going to them "I'm so sorry I didn't notice you two immediately."

"Oh don't worry. We do love watching you run around with the kids." Cora chuckles before giving her husband a kiss.