XLVII

"Are you alright, milord?"

Andrew Parker asks his master as he helps him change into sleepwear. He notices him in a dreamlike state, as if his thoughts were wondering off somewhere every 5 minutes

Alex snaps back to reality again, and looks at his valet "I'm sorry...did you say something...?"

"I was asking if you're alright, sir. You seem...drowned in your own thoughts"

"It's quite true, unfortunately" Alex said as he puts on his sleeping robe "There are...some things I haven't done these past days"

"I do hope you don't regret them, milord" Andy smiles at him

"I do hope so, Andy. God knows I do hope so too"

***

As Alex got out of his room, he also saw his sisters just walking out of their respective rooms as well

"Well, well, well," he said "What a rare moment this is"

Edith chuckles softly "It is indeed. We thought you were already downstairs"

"No, not really. I just...fixed some of my things before I got to change"

"That...or you're just missing Miss Lewis already" Mary teased as they head down the stairs

Alex rolls his eyes to another dimension, and shakes his head "Yes, let's pretend I miss her so dearly that I am secretly in love with her"

"Why? Are you not?"

"No!" he said, using the best of his acting skills that they were thought in school "She's a lady friend, alright? Nothing more than that"

"Good thing Miss Lewis left already" Edith told him "Because she will be heartbroken hearing that from you"

Alex simply smiles back at her, and as he lets them go ahead first to the library, he was frowning

Frowning because his feelings are far more different than from the things he said to them

And as much as he hates to think of it...his sisters, just like every female member of their family, was always right

***

"Granny? Aunt Rosamund?"

Mary then said as she and and her siblings saw both them by the fireplace, sitting beside one another in the settee

"Oh there you are," Violet said as she saw her grandchildren "Finally"

"What a surprise!" Edith added "Are the two of you joining in with us as well?"

"We are," Rosamund smiles "Mama said we should join in on...whatever fun the five of you always do every night in here"

"We do have lots of fun here every now and then," Alex smiles as he volunteered to pour tea for the ladies "It's been a little tradition of ours"

"Ever since you were a baby, that is" Mary smiles as she remembers "And it all started in Mama's room. All four of us...together"

The rest smile softly, all of them remembering Sybil. Alex looks at their portrait above the fireplace, smiles at it as well

"I do hate to say this sometimes...but Granny's right. Portraits do look a bit creepy at night" he then said, changing the topic and looks at his grandmother "No offense, Granny"

"None taken" Violet said "And you should know by now that I am always right, Alexander"

"Now, why are your parents taken so long?" Rosamund then asks as she receives her tea cup "It's been a while"