VII

Alex just arrived from his bike ride, bringing the last crate of baking supplies that Mrs. Patmore ordered from Mr. Bakewell's. He quickly jogs to the kitchen, where Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore saw him.

"Oh thank you, your Lordship!" Mrs. Patmore said as he sets down the ingredients on the table "I thought one of the hall boys did it!"

"Oh don't worry, Mrs. Patmore." Alex smiles "I insisted in doing it this time, and I'll gladly do it again sometime soon."

"But wouldn't his Lordship get mad if he knows about this?" Mrs. Hughes then asked.

"Oh no, he won't. In fact he actually knows about it, as well as the rest of the family" Alex assured "All except Granny, of course. But it's alright, I'll manage her—I hope."

"Lord Downton," Albert then said as he heads downstairs "His Lord and Ladyship are already in the dining hall."

"How about Lady Mary?"

"She is still not there, milord."

"YES!" Alex cheered, but fixes himself again when he saw their confused faces "I mean, thank you, Albert."

"What does that suppose to mean?" Mrs. Hughes then asked him as she helps him fix his necktie.

"I had a little bet with my sister, that's all. I promise!" the Viscount assures her.

"Alright then," Mrs. Hughes smiles and fixes his hair a bit "Now go up there and have your breakfast."

"Thank you, Mrs. Hughes. You're the best!" he then kisses her cheek before heading upstairs to the dining hall.

***

"Ah, there you are!" Cora then said as she saw her son jogged to the dining hall "Have you just come back from your ride?"

"Yes, and helped a bit downstairs as well." Alex kissed his parents' cheeks before getting some food from the buffet.

"What did you do downstairs?" Robert inquired.

"I just brought in some of the supplies from Mister Bakewell's. It's just a few, small crates of baking supplies." the younger man then settled on his seat beside his father.

He then saw his sisters, Mary and Edith, as well as Tom and Bertie arriving at the dining hall.

"Papa, Mama!" Edith said as she kissed her parents' cheeks "I'm surprised you two are both up quite early."

"Your mother insisted to be up early this time." Robert said, reading the day's newspaper "Why? Is something of the matter?"

Edith chuckles softly as she sat beside her Mama "Oh, nothing...nothing at all."

Alex was chuckling quietly to himself as well before looking at his sister Mary, who was in a bit disappointed since she lost their bet.

"Why the long face, Mary?" Cora then notices her daughter's face "What happened?"

"Oh, it's nothing Mama." Mary replied before sitting down beside Edith "I am alright."

"Are you sure?"

Mary then heard her siblings almost choking on their their orange juice and tea, trying their best not to laugh.

"Now, don't keep us all in suspense" their mother then looks at them "What is going on with the three of you?"

"Well, it's just that...Mary lost a bet to Alex." the Marchioness finally admitted.