IX

September 1927

Alexander Crawley just arrived from his usual bike ride, thanking Mister Barrow along the way as he was informed that his sister and brother-in-law are in the dining hall.

"Good morning!!" He then announced as he runs to the dining hall.

"You don't have to shout, you know. The rooster already crowed earlier for us to wake up." Mary teased.

"Good morning to you too, my darling sister." Alex chuckles and went to kiss his sister's cheek.

"When does your school start by the way, Alex?" Tom then asked as he arrives as well.

"On the 7th." Alex smiles "Though clearly I am more excited in staying at Aunt Rosamund's house again than finishing my last year at Hampton."

"Oh, don't let Papa hear that." Mary chuckles.

"How are the investments, by the way?" Tom then asks her.

"About that," Mary said as she poured herself tea "We really need to cut until the farms repay the investment. And we must make plan for the roof."

They all didn't notice Robert then coming in, reading a letter he has in hand "Well, this won't help us economize." he then said as he walks in.

"What is it?" Tom inquired.

"The King and Queen are coming to stay!"

The three of them all turned to him, all surprised at what they just heard.

"What?" Mary said.

"During their Yorkshire tour?" Alex followed up, before gobbling up a piece of bread from the breakfast buffet.

"That's it, just for the night." Robert replied as he helps himself in getting breakfast "They'll spend one night at Downton then go to Harewood for a ball. While they're here, there will be a parade of the Yorkshire Hussars in the village."

"Is there any chance Henry might be back?" the Earl then inquired his eldest.

"I doubt it. I'll send a telegram." Mary replied "But I know there's a motor show in Chicago that I know he cannot chuck."

"Tom, you're keeping control of your enthusiasm." Robert teased as he sat down at the head of the table "Is this the Irish patriot making a reappearance?"

Tom chuckles softly "I know you find my opinions highly entertaining."

Robert chuckles as well "Well, I suppose they'll send people to check that Mrs. Patmore is a Russian spy. Will you tell them downstairs, Barrow? I will see to Her Ladyship."

"Not if I see her first!" Alex quickly wipes his mouth with his napkin before standing up.

"Don't tell her yet." Robert told him "You'll spoil my entrance!"

"Aww...all right." the younger Crawley rolls his eyes before kissing his father's cheek and heading upstairs.

***

As he quickly rushes to his mother's room, he saw Miss Baxter just leaving.

"Good morning, Miss Baxter!" Alex said.

"Good morning, Lord Downton." Baxter smiles "I just brought up Her Ladyship's breakfast, with an extra orange juice just for you."

"Really? Why, thank you! I really appreciate it." Alex smiles, before Baxter smiles back at him and leaves.

He then opens the door a little, and gave it a few knocks.

Come in!" Cora said as she heard a knock on her bedroom door. The door then swings open, revealing her son.