I

June 1927

Alexander Isidore Crawley woke up at the sun shining from the window of his room. Despite the heavy curtain that cover them, light still manages to get in.

He slowly gets up and wears his glasses as he manages himself for a quick bath and change. He knows that everyone else isn't up this early in the morning, so he learns to help himself, despite having a valet of his own.

He dressed simple: a white button up shirt, a black and yellow necktie, and his favorite blue sweater vest. He then gives himself a quick hair comb before quietly heading downstairs to the kitchen, where he saw Mrs. Patmore and Daisy preparing breakfast.

"Good morning, Mrs. Patmore! Good morning, Miss Daisy!" He said happily as he glides across the kitchen, secretly snatching a piece of bread on the table.

"Good morning, Lord Downton!" the cook and her assistant greeted in unison.

Alex have been close to the two of them ever since he was young, letting him sneak out a candy or two, or even sometimes a piece of cake whenever the rest of the family aren't looking.

"Up for another bike ride around town, milord?" Mrs. Patmore asked.

"Of course!" Alex replied, pouring himself some cold milk from the refrigerator "It's a great way to start your day, you know."

"Oh, not to me," Mrs. Patmore said "I've been cooking since the break of dawn and that's how I start my day."

Mrs. Hughes then entered, and immediately caught Alex getting another piece of bread.

"Lord Downton, I know you're up early, but please leave some bread for the rest of us" she said, making Alex surprised and almost stumble on his seat.

"Mrs. Hughes!" he then said after regaining his balance "You really scared the soul out of me!"

Mrs. Hughes chuckles softly "I'm sorry, milord. But if you're going to finish up all the bread, surely there is nothing left after!"

"I can buy one, then. At Mr. Bakewell's!" Alex said, and chugs down his glass of milk "And are there some supplies that needed to be picked up, Mrs. Patmore?"

"You don't have to, sir" Mrs. Patmore said "And it's a lot of items, so I believe they'll delivered it later before lunchtime."

"Well, I'll have to go now." Alex smiles "I might be late for breakfast if I don't go on."

"Be careful, Alex" Mrs. Hughes said.

The Viscount stops his tracks for a moment and smiled, as she was one of the very few people downstairs who can call him by his name.

"I will, Mrs. Hughes" he turns back to her and gave her a quick kiss on her cheek before wearing his hat "I'll be back in time for breakfast, I promise."

He then quickly heads off back upstairs, where Mr. Molesley was already waiting for him with his bike, as well a bouquet of new flowers that were just picked from their garden. Alex then thanks him before heading off to the village.

***

At the Dower House, Violet Crawley wasn't really expecting any guests at this early in the morning. That is, not until someone suddenly arrives at her doorstep.

"The Viscount Downton, Your Ladyship." Spratt then announced as Alex smiles and enters the house.

"Alexander!" Violet looks up at her grandson from her seat "Why are you up this early?"