XII

"Alex, you're just in time! Edith and Bertie are arriving!" Cora said as she saw her son coming out of the servants' door.

"Finally!" her son said excitedly, to which his mother laughs at softly.

Along with the rest of the family, they head out and watched as the car comes to a halt. Edith, Bertie and Marigold climb out.

"No maid, no valet, no nanny, even!" Robert said as he welcomed them with open arms.

"It's 1927. We're modern folk!" Bertie smiles as he heads out of the car first while Robert took Marigold.

"Nanny will take care of Marigold," Cora said "And Anna can look after you."

"Really? Can she?" Mary teased her sister.

"Of course! Just like the old days." Cora said as Edith kisses her cheek "Granny's here, and Isobel, and we're paying a call this afternoon on Princess Mary."

"Oh, has my new ball dress arrived?" Edith asked

"Not yet, but it will."

Edith smiles at her mother before walking to her siblings.

"Alex, my baby brother!"

The Viscount chuckles "I am not that of a baby anymore, you know."

"You are always our baby brother, no matter what" Edith said as he kisses her cheek "Isn't that right, Mary?"

"Of course, no matter how much we disagree on things." Mary looks at him, to which he still ignores. The three of them then head ahead inside as they all catch up on their lives.

The family then had a rather quick luncheon, since the most of the ladies needed to leave.

"Come on, you two." Cora then told Mary and Edith "It's nearly three, and we ought to get ready."

"Will the Princess be at the parade?" Dickie asked.

"They both will." Robert answered.

"I always find her rather sad, Princess Mary." Isobel then said.

"To you, she looks miserable. To me, she looks dignified." Violet said.

"Doesn't that say it all?" Dickie concluded.

The Dowager then smiles as she saw Carson being reinstated as their butler again.

"How comforting to see you here, Carson." she said "What prompted you to take up the flaming sword again?"

"I felt I should go where I could do the most good, milady." Carson said proudly.

"Wise words for all of us."

***

Afternoon then passed, and as the ladies of house left to pay their call to Princess Mary; Alex, Tom, and Bertie cross the green to look at the finished dais. Around them, the village has been decorated with bunting.

"Do we need to cut the grass again?" Bertie asked them.

"They're doing it tomorrow morning." Alex replied.

He then looks around, and saw a strange-looking man walking towards them.

"Who is that?" Alex inquired, making the two other men look up as well and saw the strange man.

"Hello, Mister Branson. Getting ready for Their Majesties, I see" the strange man said as he tipped his hat down to them.

"That's right. This is Lord Hexham and Lord Downton." Tom then said "May I present Major Chetwode." Alex and Bertie then shakes hands with the Major as well.