XVI

Hours later, their Majesties, the family, and Maud Bagshaw are having tea downstairs. Alex and Mary quickly sneaked into the party while The King and Queen are distracted. They two then got their own cups of tea and went to Violet, Maud, Dickie and Isobel.

"Tell us about your maid." Violet told Maud as they joined them.

"Lucy is the daughter of David's army servant, Jack Smith." Maud replied "And like my husband, he died in the Boer Wars."

"So you looked after his child?" Rosamund then inquired.

"Lucy had no mother, you see. So I gave her a home."

"That's very generous." Isobel commented.

"Generosity that has been amply returned, I can assure you." Maud said, smiling.

"I'm glad." Violet said in a monotone voice before she and Mary turned around.

"You don't sound very glad." Alex heard his sister say to their grandmother.

"Lord Downton, it's finally nice to meet you up close." Maud then said to him.

"Please just call me Alexander. We are in relation, after all." the young man smiles politely.

"Well...Alexander, it seems you are quite a distinguished young man already. And from what I heard from the King, a very smart man as well."

"Thank you very much." Alex replied "I never really expected the King himself to know about the reputation that I have. I only keep it to myself and not brag about it."

"Have you already decided on what school your taking on next? After Hampton?"

The Viscount sighs quietly, being already tired with that question. The visit does not go a minute with him being asked about his future. But nonetheless, he smiles at Lady Bagshaw again.

"I have still not decided." he replied, "I shall finish my studies first before thinking about where I'll go."

Lady Bagshaw then smiles back at her before going into a conversation with Isobel and Dickie. Alex turns around and sighs tiredly, before finishing his cup of tea and quietly sneak out to get some fresh air.

***

Tom Branson—who was now wearing a morning coat, is watching Sybbie and theother children playing in the grounds with their Nanny. He smiles at the sight, but then notices at the corner of his eye a presence at the bench under the large tree

As he investigates, he saw the Princess Mary crying softly. He then clears his throat to announcehis presence. The Princess was rather surprise upon seeing him.

"Goodness. I thought everyone was inthe drawing room." she said as she wipes her eyes briskly.

"I've been dodging it, I'm afraid. Isuppose I ought to get back." Tom replied politely " Can Iget someone for you?"

"No. Thank you." the Princess said. She then looks up at him, and was quite familiar with him "You're the widowerof the youngest daughter, aren'tyou? I've heard of you, Mister...?"

"Branson. Tom Branson." he smiles "And who areyou? I should know, but I'm no goodat that sort of thing."

"I suppose you can't be expected toknow everyone." Princess Mary smiles a bit as well "Did you enjoy theparade?"

"I'm afraid I missed it completely.I got distracted."

"What a shame."

"Well, to be honest, I'm not much ofa Royalist." Tom jokes "Although, I probablyshouldn't say that out loud."