XXII

It was almost nighttime, and the Crawley family head downstairs to prepare for the Harewood ball. Alex then came down, wearing the traditional white tie and tails like his father and brothers-in-law. He also still wears the family crest pin that he wore throughout the visit.

Mary was wearing a silver beaded and black gown, paired with her black gloves and shining tiara and jewelries.

On the other hand, Edith was wearing her golden beaded dress, also paired with a beautiful tiara and its matching gold jewelries as well. She then smiles as she saw her brother.

"She's ready." was all that she said, making Alex both confused and rather excited at the same time.

As Cora then come down first, wearing her silver and mauve ball gown, which matches her silver opera length gloves and her garland tiara. She smiles at her husband, and joins him. Robert smiles lovingly at her and gently kisses her cheek.

And finally, Jo then arrives. Everyone was shocked and in awe as they saw her. She is wearing a blue velvet dress, with a draped sequin train and long white opera gloves. She's also wearing a diamond hair clasp, along with her diamond bracelet and earrings, which were all lent by Mary and Edith.

As soon as Alex saw her, he just...stared at her in awe. He had never a lady at their age in dress, let alone a full ball gown attire, but seeing Jo tonight—clearly outranks them all already.

Jo then saw him, and smiles "Will I do, Lord Downton?" she asks.

It took the Viscount a moment before snapping back to reality "Very nicely, Miss Josephine." he answered, his eyes glistening.

He then offers a hand to her, in which she gladly takes as she heads down and join the rest of the family.

"You look so beautiful, Miss Lewis." Cora said, smiling sweetly at Jo "No wonder why Mary and Edith kept this as a surprise to us."

"Everyone will love her, especially the Queen." Mary smiles.

"But we should all go now." Robert then said "Or we might be late for the ball."

Along with his parents, Jo and Alex joined them in the car as they were whisked away to Harewood House.

***

As they finally arrived at the Harewood House, the guests are milling about, with the men in their white tie and tails, and the women in beautiful gowns, tiaras and long gloves. Jo was amazed by the beautiful atmosphere. She only saw these types of balls in the fairy tales that she reads.

But now—she is a part of it.

"Oh my goodness..." she said under her breath, looking around the wonderful ballroom and its equally wonderful design.

Alex looks at her, and smiles "Quite lovely, isn't it?"

"More than lovely. It is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful." Jo looks at him, and smiles back.

He then offers his arm, to which she held onto in return, as they head inside and join the rest of their family.

***

Inside the grand hall, the Dowager Countess is standing with Lady Merton. She then glances at Lady Bagshaw, who is near the Queen.

"I suppose Maud has brought that scheming little minx with her." she said, still furious and angry.

"If you continue in this vein, you will only make yourself look stupid." Isobel then told her.

"What do you mean?"