IV

"I'm nervous, Andy." Alex said as his valet; Andy Parker, handed him his new tailored black tie suit "I hope I do well for my first dinner in the dining hall with them. The dining hall! "

"I think you'll do well, milord." Andy assured him, and smiles.

"Do you think they'll like this suit? It's normal for my taste, but I don't want to shock Granny too much."

"I am pretty sure they will, sir. And if I may suggest, you could try to have a colored waistcoat for your thirteenth birthday."

"That...is actually a great idea! Thank you, Andy." he smiles back at him before Andy leaves. Alex took deep breaths, and heads out of his room to finally present himself to his family for his very first semi-formal dinner.

***

"I wonder what Alex's outfit would look like?" Tom asked as they waited for him in the drawing room.

"Probably the same as yours and Papa's." Mary replied "But I wouldn't be surprised if he added a bit of color to his outfit, like a colored waistcoat or jacket."

Barrow then opens the door, and announced Alex arrival. The Viscount smiles happily at his family, poses in front of them to have them admire his new suit.

"Hello, everyone!" he smiles proudly at himself, looking at them and their reactions.

Robert and Tom both sighed in relief before smiling at him, pleased that he opted to go with the traditional black tie outfit. Cora, Mary, Dickie, and Isobel were all smiling happily at him. And Violet was, to his surprise, smiling. It may be a small smile, but then again, he is proud to caught her smiling again like he did earlier that morning.

"You look so handsome!" Cora stood up and admires her son more up close "You look so much like your father!"

"But who is more handsome, Mama?" Mary then asked "Alex or Papa?"

"I won't choose sides in that matter." she chuckles "Both of them are handsome in their own way, and I love both of them."

"Thank you for that, Darling." Robert smiles back lovingly at his wife.

***

"How does it feel to be a part of the family dinner now, Alex?" Lord Merton—or Dickie as he was called in the family, asked as they started over their dinner.

"It feels like a dream, Uncle Dickie." Alex smiles "I never thought to be finally here at this large table with all of you."

"Be careful Alex, or you'll rotten Uncle Dickie's sweet tooth." Mary teased, making most of the family chuckle.

"You look quite tall for a twelve year old, Alex." his aunt Isobel then commented from across the table "Clearly you can already pass as a fourteen, or even as a sixteen year old."

"Thank you, Aunt Isobel." Alex replied "I suppose I can blame the Crawley genes for this."

"Oh you can blame them, alright." Robert chuckles "We Crawley men have been tall ever since."

"By the way Mama, do you have any plans for your birthday tomorrow?" Mary then asked.

"Oh, not really." Cora replied "Other than staying in bed the whole day, if I can."

"Why? Can't you do that?" the Viscount then inquired "Surely you don't need be at the hospital tomorrow."

"But I do have a meeting with some of the new doctors and nurses with Doctor Clarkson."

"I can attend to them if you would like," Isobel then offered "In that way, you can enjoy your special day."

"I think Isobel is right." Violet then spoke, surprising everyone at the table "You should take a day off for your birthday tomorrow, Cora. You deserve it, after all."

"Goodness, that was quite a statement." her son said.

"Granny, have you changed your pills?" her grandson then teased, which earned him kick on his leg from under the table by his sister.

***

At the drawing room after dinner, Alex was talking to his sister and brother-in-law while the other adults had conversations of their own nearby.

"How will our plan go on now for tomorrow?" Tom asked in a low voice, hoping none of the seniors hear their plans.

"I've asked Papa if he and Mama can stay a bit late in bed while we all prepare for the celebration at breakfast." Mary said in a low voice as well "I've telephoned Bertie, and they will come here as early as possible."

"All while I bake some cake downstairs with Ms. Patmore." Alex said "I'll also arrange a bouquet of flowers with the help of our gardener."

"But do we now have gifts for her?" Tom then said "Because all I have is a card that is going to be made by Sybbie."

"I suppose that's alright." Mary replied "George and Caroline will make cards as well, and that is probably the gift we can all give her. But Bertie might have a gift for her, other than the card that Marigold will make."

"I...actually made a crochet shawl for her." the Viscount then admitted, making both of them surprised "Two shawls, really."

"Since when did you learn to crochet?" his sister looks at him, amused and intrigued at the same time

"Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Bates taught me a little over a year ago." Alex smiles, remembering the moment "Which is why every after tea time, I will go downstairs to them and learn to crochet and sew with them."

"That's a very sweet thing to learn" Tom smiled as well "I'm sure Mama will be surprised"

Alex chuckles softly "I do hope so."

"Children," Violet then called them out "Why you having a secret meeting over there? Is there something you want to share?"

"No, Granny." Mary replied, "We're just talking about Alexander being surprisingly well behaved tonight."

"As he should be!" Violet said, not noticing her grandson almost choking on his orange juice and trying not to laugh "If he wants to join us, then surely he'll have to behave like a gentleman."

"You will only get this tonight, Granny." Alex teased "Tomorrow, I'll be back as your favorite chaotic grandchild."

"Which is the Alex we know and love." Tom added, making the three of them laugh.

"Children these days," Robert then heard his mother mumble "Getting more unusual than ever."

***

After a long while and everyone had left and retired to their rooms, Robert then went to his wife's room, where she saw her reading as always.

"I think I can give a decision to Alex now," he then stated as he removed his robe and laid down beside her "about his schooling at Harrow."

"Really?" Cora asked, setting her book down on her nightstand "That was an oddly fast decision making, coming from you."

He then chuckles softly, and smiles at her "Yes, but I stand by what I said earlier. We'll give Alex a chance to choose on what school he'll go to next."

"And if his final decision is at Harrow?"

"Then I will support him on that. I think it's time to have him break another tradition again. I mean, I did it already— by marrying you."

"Oh, stop it, will you?" Cora said, blushing at his statement before lying down as well "But I'm very happy on you supporting his decision. I'm sure he'll be very happy about it once he hears that."

"Do you think so?" Robert looks at her, smiling.

"Of course. Hearing your approval will make him the happiest boy on Earth." she smiles back, and gently kisses his cheek before snuggling close to him.

Robert smiles, covering them under the sheets before wrapping an arm around her and turning off the lights.