XIII

Robert and Alex—who are wearing matching brown tweeds and blue neckties—walks down to the hall for afternoon tea time along with their dog, Teo.

They watched as the servants scrub and clean every surface of the house. They also both almost tripped down on a rolled carpet, and spins around before heading inside the library.

"It's like living in a factory!" Robert said as they entered inside the library.

"It reminds me of our days as a convalescent home during the war." Mary said.

"I enjoyed that, although I always feeling guilty in saying so" Cora added, "Where's Tom?"

"Daddy's in the village." Sybbie answered.

"Again?" her grandfather said in disbelief "What's he playing at?"

"I saw Tom looking very stern as I came up the drive." Violet then said as she and Rosamund entered the library.

Nanny gathered the children, and they greeted their Granny Violet and Auntie Rosamund first before they all leave the room.

"I hope he's not building a bomb."

"Tom wouldn't do that, Papa." the Viscount commented as he gets some pastries and his own tea.

"We think he's being tailed by Special Branch." Bertie said as he sat beside his wife.

"Nonsense!" Robert said as he gets tea for his mother "Mama, how was London?"

"Fine." Violet replied.

"And how about you Rosamund? How come you are still living amongst us?"

"Oh, same as always." Rosamund replied "As for still living, I suppose God intended me to annoy you until the end of days."

Her brother rolls his eyes, and sighs tiredly "More suffering for me, I suppose."

"What were you there for, Granny?" Edith then inquired his grandmother.

"Oh, various things."

"But don't you hate London?" Alex said, his mouth half full as he sat down beside his Mama on the settee.

Violet looks at her grandson, confused "Whoever told you that?" she then chuckles softly before she continues "Now, when do you want me tomorrow?"

"Twelve at the latest. They arrived half past." Cora answered "But Mama, you must promise not to attack Maud Bagshaw."

"I can't ignore her. She's my cousin!" Violet said.

Robert then went to her and gives her tea "Exactly. Greet her as a cousin and leave it at that."

"I'll think about it."

"Which means she won't." Rosamund teased, earning an annoyed look from her mother.

"But even if she has left everything to an outsider, what could we do?" Edith then asked her grandmother before taking a bite on a pastry that she got from Alex's plate.

"Challenge the will." Violet said firmly.

"On what basis?" Mary then followed up.

"Undue influence!"

"But how could you know that? And how will you prove it?" Bertie asks as well.

"We'll find a friendly judge."

"Friendly, or corrupt?" Robert then asked as he went to his writing desk.

"Whichever does the trick!"

"Are you here for dinner, Granny? It's a buffet." Alex then said.

"But I'm not changed." Violet told him.