XVIII

Alex then heads out of his room in his white tie, preparing to go down to meet the arriving guests for the Royal Dinner. He breaths slowly, calming himself down. But as he was about to go down, he then saw the Dowager Countess of Grantham striding across the gallery, view the ground from the landing above.

"Granny?" the young man called out, and jogs to her "Is something of the matter?"

"Ah! Alex! I was just looking for you downstairs." Violet said, holding onto his arm "But now that you're here, you will help me in finding Lady Bagshaw's room."

He sighs tiredly "Granny, what are you up to this time?"

They then heard laughter nearby, and Violet was pretty sure that it was Maud's voice. She then takes Alex along with her as they head to one of the rooms. She opens the door, and found Maud Bagshaw sitting by her dressing table while Lucy stands beside her, both them laughing.

"I shouldn't think so, not if she knows what's good for her." Lucy said, making both of them laugh again.

"We're sorry to interrupt." Violet then said, making the two of them turn to her and stop laughing.

"How clever of you to find me" Maud then said to her.

"Not really. I lived here forty years." the Dowager Countess said proudly, making Alex facepalm behind her. She then looks Lucy "I assume this is your maid."

"Yes. This is Lucy Smith." Maud introduces her maid.

"Good evening, Smith."

"Good evening, milady. Good evening, Lord Downton." Lucy curtsies to both of them before looking back at her employer "Shall I go?"

"Not for us, not for us. Alexander and I delighted to meet you. We've heard so much about you" Violet told her and looks at his grandson "Didn't we, Alexander?"

"Yes...yes, of course." Alex smiles politely, in where Lady Bagshaw can clearly sense that he was just dragged into this chaotic mess that they're having.

"Is there something you want?" Maud then asks her.

"Just to see you're comfortable, and to confirm our little chat for later." Violet replied.

"I live my own life now, Violet. I'm not what I was." Maud said "My father is gone. My husband is gone. I see no reason not to do what I want."

"That doesn't mean there is no reason, merely that you cannot see it." Violet countered.

"I think Lady Merton is right. We'll have it out, once and for all." Maud then stands up "But now, I must go to Her Majesty" she then puts on her gloves and leaves.

Violet then stares at Lucy before leaving as well. Alex sighs softly, and looks at her "Are you alright, Miss Smith?" he then asks.

"I suppose the stage is set for their fight tonight." Lucy then said "I am certain it will be about me."

"Miss Smith, I do apologize for my grandmother's behavior." the Viscount said "She's only making it a big issue, if you ask me. But, if ever Lady Bagshaw does plan to give you Brampton, then I have no complaints."

The Lady's maid looks at him, a bit surprised "Really? Do you mean that?"

"Of course." the Viscount smiles "We already own other houses, why add one more? Besides, I can't keep track of the houses that we own already."

They then both chuckle softly, and smile at each other.

"I should go now, Miss Smith." Alex smiles "But I hope you're doing alright now."