XXIV

The next morning, Alex woke up late this time, as he was very tired from last night at the ball. He slowly sits up on his bed and wears his glasses before ringing Andy to change.

After changing into his tweeds, he quickly heads downstairs to the dining hall to eat breakfast with the rest of the family.

He then heard laughter as he head inside, and saw Jo eating with the rest of the family already. She was sitting in between Mary and Edith, smiling and laughing softly.

"Ah, look—the Little Prince has finally awaken from his slumber!" Mary teased.

"Yes, yes. Apologies for waking up quite late this time." he smiles at her as he got his food.

"Don't worry, Darling. We all did wake up a bit late." Cora smiles to him "But did you enjoy last night?"

"Of course I did, Mama." Alex smiles back at her, sitting in between Tom and Bertie "I enjoyed very much."

"And how about you, Miss Lewis? Did you enjoy last night as well?" Robert inquired.

"Yes, sir. I did enjoy it very much." Jo smiles.

"And is it true that Granny wants to talk to you?" Edith asks her "Alex just told us about it last night."

"Yes. Her Ladyship said that she and Lady Merton will come here for tea to talk to me." Jo answered.

"Oh, dear. That doesn't sound good." Cora looks at her husband.

"Seems my dear Mama is intrigued about you too, Miss Lewis." Robert said "But don't worry, she won't bite."

Alex chuckles softly on what his father said. He then looks at Jo, who was also looking at her. They then exchanged small smiles before continuing to eat.

"Alex, you seem quiet today" Robert looks at his son "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I am, Papa. I am just still a bit sleepy, that's all." the Viscount smiles.

"Then it was a good thing you're staying here for one more day." Mary told him "Or else you would have been sleeping the whole day at Aunt Rosamund's house."

"Well, I'd be more than happy to take Alex with me now," Rosamund said "I know my duty as a family here is done—and it seems with every passing minute, your father seems to be more annoyed at me."

The rest of themshared a light laugh as Robert stared at them, knowing well that answering back at his older sibling would only make him look more...stupid.

***

After breakfast, Alex looked around for Jo, to where he eventually saw her in the library and reading, along with a pile of books beside her.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

The young lady then looks up and saw him, making her smile. He smiles back and sat nearby her on the floor, and took a book from her own pile.

"How are you earlier?" he then inquired "How was breakfast?"

"It was delicious! What you say about Mrs. Patmore's cooking is really accurate!" Jo smiles excitedly at him "And your family—are they always that happy during breakfast?"

"If we aren't discussing business and if the family is...well, almost complete, which is quite rare nowadays...then yes, we are that happy and a bit rowdy at times" Alex replied.

"My family is rarely together as well. With James staying at the house that he works in, it is only the three of us who are together." Jo smiles "But its fun as well, when its only the three of us."