XI

The next day, Mary and Alex were with their father in the library. They had just informed him of what they did at the Carsons' yesterday.

"But what are we to say to Barrow? After all, he's done nothing wrong" Robert said.

"He's done nothing at all. That's the problem" Mary argued.

"But it feels very unfair."

"That's what I said to her, Papa! And clearly, she is not going to change her mind in this matter." Alex said.

They didn't even noticed Carson entering the library. He then clears this throat to announce himself, halting their argument and surprising both the father and son.

Robert turned to his eldest child "Oh, I see. So it's now."

"I've sent down for Mister Barrow to join us, milord." Carson said.

"Oh, dear Lord." Alex mumbled under his breath.

They heard the library door open, revealing the young butler as he enters the library as well.

"You wanted to see me, milord?" Barrow said. He then notices the old butler nearby them "Mister Carson! What brings you here?"

Robert then spoke up first"Well, this is the thing–"

"Carson is going to move back into the house for the Royal visit" Mary cuts off him off, going straight to the point.

"What?" Barrow said, not believing what he just heard. He stares at Mr. Carson "You are coming back here as butler, when I am the butler here?"

"That is–" Carson tries to explain, only to be interrupted by the young butler again.

"Can I ask how long this has been planned, milord?" Barrow asked his employers.

"I wouldn't say it's been exactly planned, Mister Barrow–" Alex tries to speak up.

"I don't quite understand where it leaves me."

Robert was stuck in the situation, not knowing what else to do "Well, you can be a sort of–"

"With your permission, I'd prefer not to be a 'sort of' anything, milord." Barrow said firmly "I will surrender my position for the duration of the visit, if I must, and serve you again when Their Majesties have gone, if you so wish."

Alex felt guiltier, knowing that he's also involve in this mess "Mister Barrow, please don't think that–"

But Barrow has already already made up his mind as he walks towards the door "By the way, the boiler's playing up and there's no hot water." he then added.

"God, that's all we need!" Mary complained

"Now, Barrow–"

As Robert tries to ease the situation, Barrow already left the room in rage, slamming the door behind him and startling everyone left.

"Not to worry. The plumber will soon have it mended, milady, and we'll bring water jugs up to the bedrooms tonight and in the morning" Carson then said "It can't be that hard. After all, we did it for three hundred years."

"Thank you, Carson." Robert smile a bit at him before he heads downstairs. He then looks back at his children, and sighs tiredly.

"That went well." Alex said sarcastically at his sister "Congratulations, Mary."

Mary rolled her eyes and ignored him "Are you going sack him, Papa?" she then asked their father.

"No. As a matter of fact, I was quite interested. I never thought of him as a man of principle before." Robert said before walking back to his desk.

She then looks at her brother, who was clearly disappointed and guilty of the entire situation, before heading back upstairs to her room.

"Are you alright, Alex?" Robert then asked him, noticing he was quiet after what happened.

"I feel very guilty, Papa." Alex said softly "I still believe Barrow deserves a chance. Mary is clearly missing out of the potential that he has."

"I feel very guilty as well." Robert admits to him "But the decision has been made, and we cannot change that anymore."

"With your permission, I would like to check on Mister Barrow. I just want to make sure he's alright." Alex asked.

Robert nods at him "Please do check on him. I do hope he is alright, and send my apologies as well."

The Viscount smiles, and nods at his father before heading downstairs.

***

As Alex heads to the kitchen, where he saw the Carsons', Mrs. Patmore, and Daisy.

"Lord Downton!" Mrs. Hughes then said as they saw him as well "Is something of the matter?"

"Has anyone of you seen Mister Barrow?" Alex asked.

"I think I see him go to his quarters, milord." Mrs. Patmore answered.

"Thank you. I'll just check on him." the young man smiles at them before walking away.

"His Lordship is really close to Mister Barrow, isn't he?" Mrs. Patmore then said.

"He is. He has been friends with him ever since he was young. I do admire his lordship looking out for him." Mrs. Hughes smiles.

***

Barrow was quietly reading in his quarters when he heard a knock on the door. He then opens the door, revealing the Viscount.

"Lord Downton!" the butler smiles "Please, come in!"

"I won't be quite long, but can I talk to you like long-time friends rather than a master and his butler?"

"Go on, then."

"I am very sorry about earlier, Thomas." Alex then said "I was merely trapped in this entire situation that my sister started. I do believe you should be the butler for the visit. But clearly I don't, and will never have, the power to change my sister's opinions."

"It's alright, Alex. It's not your fault, really, nor it's Lady Mary or anyone's fault." Barrow said "I don't really blame anyone. It's not my time to shine, I'm afraid."

"I am really glad, because Papa sends his apologies as well. He does feel guilty, and knew nothing about all of this" the Viscount smiles a bit "And you'll shine one day, I promise. This may not be the time, but I think there is a grander event planned for you, and you'll be the star."

"Thank you very much, Alex. For believing in me." Barrow smiles "I never had someone who has a high faith in me."

"That's what friends are for, Thomas. But now I must go, they might be looking for me." Alex smiles as Barrow opens the door "If you need any help, I am always here."

"Thank you, Alex. Really, I appreciate it."

Thomas smiles as he closes the door of his quarters. He is very lucky to have Alex has his friend, and that the young the Viscount believed in him very much, which he is very grateful.