III

"There they are, Mama! Look!!"

Alex then immediately rushed to the new part of the garden, where all the new flowers are now planted. Cora follows shortly behind him, smiling happily.

Most of her favorite flowers were there: hyacinths, daffodils, and anemones. There were also orchids, lavenders, peonies, and pink roses—the last ones being her late daughter Sybil's favorite.

"They are all so beautiful." Cora said, looking around and admiring the new flowers in awe.

"I know it isn't as grand as Granny's bouquet," he said, then handing her a thornless bouquet "But I suppose this few pink roses is enough to fulfill my promise for now?"

Cora chuckles softly, and takes the rose before hugging him "It is. And thank you very much for these."

They then continued walking around the estate, mainly talking about the past, among other things.

"Did Papa really don't love you when he married you?" he then asked.

"At first, yes." Cora replied, looking at him "It took him a long while before he got around on it."

"But why?" the Viscount said as he starts walking backwards, facing his mother.

"Well, before there is what they call us: American heiresses." His mother said "Young ladies who have new money, but is rejected by the old society in America. That is where we go to Europe, looking for entitled men to get married to."

"But be honest, Mama." Alex then turns back around and catches up a bit on her "Do you really want a title? Did you ever dreamed to be a Countess? Or any Lady of sort?"

"Not really, no." Cora said, holding onto her son's arm again as they continued walking "I just want to find someone who will love me, whether I have money or not."

"But then why didn't you marry someone in America? Like some man from a rich family like you are?"

"Your Grandmama had other plans. She thinks that our family will get accepted to the old society back in America if I marry an aristocrat, like many other mothers think at that time."

"Do you think it worked?" Alex looks at her "When you married Papa, the Levinsons are accepted in the elite circle of America?"

"It did, surprisingly. If you count Mrs. Astor herself being there at our wedding."

"Mrs. Astor herself?!  All the way from America?"

"Oh yes!" Cora smiles, remembering that moment "We were all surprised, I thought my mother would faint on the spot!"

"I suppose that made Grandmama very proud" her son chuckles softly.

She then nods, and chuckles along "Yes it did, while it leaves your Granny very confused." 

"Does Granny not know about America's elites?"

"She is very aware of it. But at the same time, she doesn't really care about it, she didn't want to be involved it their circle."

"Hmm...sounds like Granny, all right." he nods in agreement.

They then saw Mr. Barrow jogging towards them down the path.

"Lord Downton, Your Ladyship." the butler said "It is now tea time, and the Dowager Countess has just arrived."

"Thank you, Mister Barrow. We'll join in a minute." the Countess smiles before Barrow bow his head to them and went back ahead inside the house.