XXIX

During tea time, the boys all wore comfortable clothes: white shirts, brown vests and pants, and slippers. They then also played billiards during tea, to past time as it was only the four of them. As they play and drink, they also shared some of their stories from their childhood...well, at least all except Alex, who is more of a listener than a storyteller himself.

"Alex," Alfie then called him out, making him snap out of his thoughts "You seem pretty quiet tonight."

"Sorry, I was just listening to your stories." Alex replied, smiling.

"How about you tell a story from your childhood?" Vince then said.

"Yeah! You never tell us much about it!" Richie added.

"I mean, what you all know about me is pretty much about it." Alex said "I have nothing to hide, and I think you all heard about most of them from my family, really."

"Well, you could just tell a backstory of a thing we didn't know about." Alfie suggested "That is, if you're comfortable to tell about it to us, of course."

"Well, there is one" Alex smiles at them "When Papa was about to leave for America while Mama handled the annual Downton bazaar..."

***

July 1922

Seven year old Alexander Crawley was about to go to back to his room with Nanny to start his tutorials, when he heard his parents talking downstairs. They stopped by the upstairs gallery for a moment as he listens to them:

"Darling, I do think your going to rescue my hopeless brother is an act of real love, and I cherish you for it" his mother Cora said as she held her husband close to her one last time before he leaves.

His father Robert smiles back lovingly at her "That'll keep me warm as I cross the raging seas" he said.

"Good." Cora smiles back "Now, kiss me."

Robert smiles, and gave her a passionate kiss and held her closer to him. Cora held him closer as well. They then slowly pull away, and share a soft chuckle before they held hands and walk out of the grand hall and heads to the entrance, where the rest of the family was waiting for them.

"Papa's leaving?" Alex then asks his Nanny.

"I'm afraid so, Lord Downton."

"Can I please say goodbye to him?" he then asks "Before we start studying? Please?"

Nanny then thinks for a moment, before smiling at him again "Of course, milord. I'll wait for you in your room."

"Thank you, Nanny!" Alex smiles happily as he quickly runs down the hall to head downstairs.

Just outside the entrance, Robert was saying goodbye to the women of the family.

"Goodbye, Mama." he said as kisses Violet's cheek.

"Goodbye, my dear." Violet said "Don't let those Yankees drive you mad."

Robert chuckles softly before going to his eldest daughter "Mary? Why so preoccupied?" he asks.

"Am I? I'm afraid my mind is on other things." Mary said, and gently kisses her father's cheek "Anyway, goodbye, Papa, and please try to enjoy yourself."

Robert smiles, and turns to his cousin, Rose MacClare "Rose, I leave you and Alex in charge of fun."

Rose kisses his cheek, and smiles proudly "Mission understood, Captain."