XIX

After dinner, their Majesties and the guests at the grand hall of the house, where Carson, Moseley, and Albert dispense tea, coffee, and other drinks. Meanwhile, Violet was with Isobel as they head to the drawing room nearby.

"Alex and I met the maid." Violet whispers to her "She has Maud wound around her little finger."

"Then we need to know why." Isobel said in a low voice.

They then saw Alex, who was getting his tea and a small plate of pastries nearby.

"Alexander!" Violet then called him "Would you be so kind to join us in the drawing room?"

The young man already knew what she means, and clearly there is no option to escape his Granny's madness "Of course, Granny." he smiles politely. The ladies then went ahead of him, and Alex sighs tiredly before following them.

Meanwhile, Bertie then approaches the King, who turned to him, smiling.

"What is it, Hexham?"

"Well, Your Majesty, it's this." the Marquess tries to explain "I just learned that Lady Hexham is expecting our first child."

"But that's wonderful news!"

"We're not telling anyone quite yet, but I thought you'd be interested."

"And so I am. Congratulations." the King told him, smiling.

Bertie then finally gathered all of his courage "The thing is, Sir, it's due to be born around the time the Prince and I will be setting off on tour."

"Excellent!" the King said "Please make it register with him. Help the Prince understand what it means to have a real family life. You can be such an example to him. I know it!"

Bertie was stumped, not knowing what else to say as he failed his mission to change the King's mind.

***

At the drawing room, Maud, Violet, Cora, Rosamund, and Isobel are all sitting on the settees and chairs. Robert and Alexander were both standing nearby them.

"Very well. Let's get to the point" Maud then said to them "Robert is my nearest relation on my father's side, and he has Alexander as his heir."

"He is" Violet nods in agreement.

"But they will not be my heirs."

Alex then quickly gulps down his tea before speaking "And there we have it!" he then said, and sighs in relief.

"Who will it be?" Cora then asks "Can you tell us?"

"Lucy Smith, My maid."

The rest of the family were shocked—all except the Viscount and Lady Merton, with both knowing it was about to come.

"What? Are you out of mind?!" Violet then told Maud, furious.

"No. And I know what I'm doing." Maud replied back confidently.

"On the contrary, you're clearly insane! You should be in an asylum!"

"How like you: a word of resilience and you slash with your sabre."

"Its lucky for Miss Smith that I don't own a sabre!"

"So, this is truly your choice?" Rosamund then inquired.

"Lucy has taken care of me for so many years." Lady Bagshaw smiles at her "I wish to show my gratitude."

And that was when the ever so calm Dowager Countess of Grantham finally snapped "With the family house?! With the family estate?! You belong in a straightjacket!" she angrily told the Baroness "To treat your maid as a blood relation is to unpick every fiber of the English way of life!"