XVII

After changing back into his tweeds and taking a short nap, Alex then heads to the library, where he took some of books and put it in his satchel. He then checks if the coast is clear, before rushing off outside...

...that is, until–

"Where are you going, Mister?" Rosamund Painswick then appeared from her sister-in-law's study. Alex stopped his tracks, slowly turns around to face her.

"O-Outside. F-Fresh air." the young man to reply at best.

"Haven't you gotten enough fresh air earlier?"

"W-Well, I was also going to read outside! The sunset's really beautiful today, Auntie."

Rosamund sighs softly, and shakes her head "You really want me to believe that?"

"Auntie!" Alex whined a bit "Please just let me read outside for once."

His aunt then slowly smiles at him, knowing well that she can't stop him "Alright." she then said "But be back early. You wouldn't want to embarrass your parents for dinner later."

The young man beamed happily, and runs to to give a quick kiss on her cheek "Thank you, Auntie!" he said as he runs out of the House "And I will!"

***

As he got to the Temple, Jo was already there, and was setting her satchel down and taking out her books.

"You're quite early." Alex said as he jogs to her and climbs up the ladder.

"And you're quite late." Jo teased, and chuckles softly.

"Sorry, I was stopped by my aunt for a bit." Alex chuckles along, sitting beside her "I also did change into my tweeds for a while."

"Why? Are you not wearing tweeds for dinner?" she asks.

"Not with the King and Queen in the House. We will all be wearing white ties for the occasion" he explained "At least, I'm more used to that kind of outfit."

"I do like you in tweeds more." Jo then told him "You look very decent...and very handsome."

"I, uhm..." Alex blushes "Thank you, I suppose. "

She then clears her throat, and shows her books to him "These are some books that I'd thought you would like" she said "I don't know if you have these in your library at home, but I suppose you wouldn't mind a copy of your own?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't mind it at all." he smiles, and shows her his books "And I chose these books from my case since I also think that you would like these. I do also hope you don't mind a copy of your own?"

"Not at all." she smiles back sweetly at her.

They then exchanged their sets of books to one another and went through them. Alex looks through the books she chose for him: The Picture of Dorian Gray, Beowulf, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, War and Peace, Moby Dick, and Great Expectations.

Surprisingly, all of these books—except Beowulf, are not in the Downton Library. He smiles and looks at her as she went through his books.

Jo smiles as she went through the books he chose for her: A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, Jane Eyre, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Frankenstein, The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, A Little Princess, Iola Leroy, and North and South.

She never had any of these books, but she wished she had them one day. And now, she is smiling at him like a young child receiving the present they wished for on Christmas day.

"I never knew an aristocrat like you had books like these!" Jo told him "I've been wishing to have these books some day, and yet here you are, showing them to me, as if you knew me too well."