V

Alex woke up early, just as the sun started to rise. He then quickly changed and rushes downstairs where he saw Mrs. Patmore and Daisy already preparing the ingredients.

"Good morning, Mrs. Patmore! Morning, Miss Daisy!"

"Good morning, Lord Downton!" Mrs. Patmore smiled at him "Are you sure this will be ready in time?"

"I hope so. And I do hope Mama will like it as well."

"Well then let's get started, shall we?"

"Oh, but wait for us!"

To their surprise, they saw Tom and Mary both up early as well "Can we still help make the cake?" Mary then asked.

"O-Of course, milady!" Daisy then managed to say.

"You really got up early, too?" Alex smiles at new arrivals.

"Well, we don't really have any other gifts for Mama—so why not help in making the cake instead?" Tom replied, smiling back at him.

The three of them—along with the cook and assistants' help—have to successfully make the made the cake batter before putting it all in the oven. They also made the icing and a few decorations for the cake as well.

As they waited for the cake to bake, the Viscount then heads out to the garden and with the help of their gardener, picks the flowers needed for the making of the bouquet.

***

Meanwhile, Cora wakes up from her sleep—but was surprised to see her husband still beside her, slowly waking up as well.

"Good morning." she said, and smiles sleepily.

"Good morning," Robert smiles back, and turns to face her "And happy birthday."

"Why, thank you." she chuckles softly, and kisses his cheek "But aren't you supposed to be up a few minutes ago?"

"Not today, no." he runs a hand through her hair "I want to spend a few minutes in bed with the birthday lady, if she doesn't mind?"

Cora already knew what he meant, making her grin "No, I don't mind at all." she replied, before Robert leans closer for a kiss.

***

Meanwhile, just as Alex had just finished arranging the bouquet of flowers, Barrow then informs him that the Marquess and Marchioness of Hexham; along with Miss Marigold, has just arrived.

"Thank you, Mister Barrow. I'll see to them." Alex smiles "Are you sure Papa and Mama didn't hear them arrive?"

"As far as I am aware, sir." Barrow replied "I'll continue on the lookout."

"Yes, thank you. You're a great help, Mister Barrow." Alex smiles before the butler leaves to head back inside the house.

"Edith! Bertie!" the Viscount then said as he saw them got out of their car.

"The Little Prince of Downton, up so early!" Edith Pelham teased him, making her little brother chuckle softly.

"Since the break of dawn, I'm afraid." Alex chuckles, and hugs her sister.

"Nice to see you again, Alex." Bertie then said as he hugged him as well.

"It's nice to see you too, Bertie." Alex smiles back "Just in time for the surprise as well."

"Uncle Alex!" Marigold then hopped off the car and hugs his uncle.

"Hello to you too, my little duckling!" Alex smiles and gently kisses her cheek, making her giggle.

"Where are the others?" Edith asked.

"They're all down in the kitchen, making cake. I just finished arranging the bouquet, and out dear sister Mary is probably with the rest of kids right now to help decorate the cake."

"Can we still help?" Bertie inquired.

"Of course! The more the merrier!" the young Viscount smiles, before leading them inside, on the way to the kitchen downstairs.

As soon as they arrived, the adults and kids have all reunited downstairs in the kitchen, just in time as the cake was set to cool down for a bit before decorating.

The adults help put on the icing first, with the guidance of Mrs. Patmore. It was hard at first, but the managed to do so. Next, was the decorations, where they guided the four little children whole helping them not to eat too much of the icing.

"Your Lordships, Your Ladyships." Albert, the first footman, then came downstairs "Lord and Lady Grantham are already up and are now having breakfast."

"Thank you, Albert. We'll be all up and ready in a few minutes" Mary then said as she wipes off some icing on George's lips.

"Are we all ready now?" Tom inquired the siblings.

"Oh we all are, especially the kids." Edith smiles, then looks at her brother "How about you? Are you ready?"

Alex takes a deep breath, and smiles back at her "Ready as I'll ever be."

***

"Barrow, where are the children?" the Countess of Grantham then asked as she and her husband head downstairs for breakfast together.

"I'm afraid they're all still asleep, milady." the butler replied politely.

"How about Lord Downton? Has he not come back from his bike ride yet?"

"I'm afraid Lord Downton did not go for a bike ride today, milady. I did not see him go out nor head downstairs to help in the kitchen."

"That's quite odd." Cora said to her husband, "All of our children, still not up at this hour?"

"I suppose they're quite tired from last night." Robert suggested "With all of Mama's lecturing to them."

"Nonsense!" she then looks at him "It is quite tiring yes, but not tiring enough to make them all stay in bed late."

"Then perhaps you can ask them later once they're all up and about."

The Earl's voice then trailed off when he saw his children and grandchildren heading to the Grand Hall, making him chuckle softly to himself.

"Is something of the matter, Darling?" Cora then inquires, noticing him.

"Nothing, really." Robert smiles back sweetly at her "I just remembered something."

They continued to quietly eat their breakfast, when they saw three of their grandchildren running towards them.

"Hello, darlings!" Cora asked, surprised at their sudden arrival in the hall "Is something of the matter?"

"Granny, there is something happening at the hall!" George said, pretending to be scared.

"Why? What is it?"

"We don't know Granny, but we're scared when we heard it!" Sybbie said while Caroline nods in agreement,  holding on to her toy bunny.

"Do you want Mister Barrow to come with you?"

"No. We want you and Donk, please."

"Let's go with them." Robert said, and turns to Barrow "Keep a lookout here if anything happens, but call Albert and Andy just in case for backup."

"Very well, milord." Barrow nods before quickly heading back downstairs.

"Come on. Let's go now." Cora held both Sybbie and George's hands as Robert carried Caroline in his arms, all before they head to the Grand Hall.