XXXI

The following morning, Alex woke up early as usual. He then blinked for a few moments, before slowly getting up from his bed. Although still in pain, he managed to overcome it, and carefully holds on to his cane to help him up. He then walks to his study table, and sits down for a moment to catch his breath.

He was still in pain of course, but not as much as it was yesterday. Perhaps his body got a decent rest last night that it somehow managed to heal a little. But it still pains when he catches his breath, tries to walk around, and even in just slightest movement of his upper body, which was the one that hurts the most.

He then looks at his desk, and the first photo was saw was Jo's. He smiles at it, and also remembered to write a reply to letter. He then slowly grabs his pen and paper, and starts to write:

Dearest Jo,

I have just read your letter last night. And I might say, your first week in school is more eventful than I had. As I write this, I don't have classes today. It is because it is the annual parents-teachers conference, in which of course my parents and Aunt Rosamund will attend to.

He then pauses for a moment, think about the events that happened yesterday. Should he tell her about it? Well, he wanted to, but at the same time he doesn't want her to worry about him and his condition. He knows he promises to keep no secrets in between them, but this...

...well, this is the only secret that he will not say to her. For now, that is. Alex then shakes his head out of thoughts, and continues writing:

My first days in school was...quite normal to say the least. Nothing much has happened. Science Club here, Student Council there, and assignments everywhere! It was the same routine that we were used to, so yes–nothing much to report on you on that matter.

But enough of all of that. I have been...missing you these pass days. In a friendly matter, of course. I miss every afternoon that passed by and I get to meet you at the Temple or just by the wide fields of the House. I miss our witty banters, and our teasing with one another. And your books, and for obvious reasons, your photos, are one of the things that reminds me a lot of you.

And speaking of books, I have finally finished War and Peace. All I can say that it is a great book, and a classic one, in fact. And after I finish writing this letter, I will move on to read The Picture of Dorian Gray. But of course, I do my assignments in between my reading, so I wouldn't forget it.

I do hope we continue in our weekly exchanging of letters, Jo. Not a day goes by that I am excited in receiving and in writing a letter to you.

P.S.: I have a photo of mine in return of you giving me a photo of yours. I assure you, this is the most handsome and most decent photo I could find of myself. I hope you like it.

Your friend,

Alex

After writing and rereading it for any errors, Alex then looks for his most decent photo, which was kept in the drawer of his study table. It was a photo of himself just days ago, during the Royal Visit. It was a from a series of portraits commissioned by his Granny in celebration of Their Majesties visit.

He was wearing his best smile at the photo, and was also in his morning dress, the same attire he was wearing when he first met her. He then puts it along with his letter inside the envelope, before carefully sealing it. He smiles, and carefully puts it inside his pants pocket, before heading off to take a bath before breakfast.

***

Alex then carefully went downstairs for breakfast, where he saw his parents and aunt already eating at the dining hall. They then all saw him, and Cora immediately rushes to assist him.