XV

Back at Downton, everyone stands up as the King rides on the parade ground. Robert—who was the Lord Lieutenant of the county—was also riding behind him, along with His Majesty's equerry and other mounted officers.

At the dais, the senior members of the family: Edith, Violet, Alex, Cora, Rosamund, and Bertie; sat beside the Queen and Princess Mary all stood up as well. Maud Bagshaw was also sitting with them, sitting in between Edith and Violet.

While the ladies donned their beautiful dresses, then men wear their morning dress. It wasn't Alex's first time wearing this kind of formal attire, but it still makes him uncomfortable. He tries to fix his collar while watching the parade, as he feels like suffocating as he wears his attire.

At the same time, he was nervous. Not only because its his first time watching a Royal parade, but also for both Mary and Tom. He hasn't seen them yet at the parade, and worried that something bad might happened to them.

"Are you alright, dear boy?" Violet whispers, noticing him.

"I am alright, Granny. Don't worry. " the Viscount smiles a little, and tries to focus his attention back to the parade as the National Anthem then started to play.

***

Meanwhile, Tom and Mary just got out of the station. They then walked the quiet and somehow deserted street back home.

"It's so strange. He seemed so English." Mary then told him.

"And so he was. A pillar of the establishment until the notion of Irish independence took him over to the other side." Tom said "That's where I came in. He'd heard my sympathies lay with Ireland and the republic."

"Don't they?"

"Not at any cost. I'm a law-and-order man these days." he looks at her, fixing his cuffs "That's what you lot have done to me."

"So will there be a great splash all over the newspapers?" Mary said, feeling worried "Poor Papa."

"Oh, no. You'll find there isn't a whisper about this anywhere."

Mary looks at his brother-in-law again, impressed "An establishment cover-up." she grins "I don't believe in conspiracy theories."

Tom smiles back at her as they walked on back to the House.

***

After the National Anthem, Robert then rides up to the King, and salutes to him.

"Your Majesty, The Yorkshire Hussars are formed up, ready and awaiting your inspection." he announced proudly.

The King and the Earl then rides to the right and left of the line, accompanied by the escorting officers as the band plays as the inspection begins. Meanwhile, The Queen has noticed an empty chair next to her daughter.

"Where is he?" she asks about her daughter's husband, Lord Lascelles.

"He's not feeling well." Princess Mary answers.

"Wasn't he out shooting yesterday?"

"What do you want me to say?"

"Nothing."

"You have to let me leave him!"

"We will not talk about it now." the Queen said firmly before focusing back onto the parade.

Further down, Maud waves at Lucy in the crowd.

"Is that your maid?" Edith then asks.

"That's right. Lucy." Maud smiles at her.