Chapter 9

Out of breath and sweating slightly, I brushed a rogue strand of hair out of my face. Feeling the blush warming my cheeks, I asked, "How's that?"

Jason sighed. "I honestly preferred it when they were hidden in the storage room."

The couch and loveseat had been wrangled out into the rec room and set up in the corner. The dark purple leather stood out in the worst way, jarring and garish against the soft, white walls.

"Look on the bright side; getting them out here is the first step toward getting rid of them."

Jason cocked his head to the side. "You're really taking this seriously."

I shrugged. "Of course – you're paying me."

He smirked. "And here I thought it was a ruse to spend time alone together..."

My lips quirked into a saucy grin. "It can be both. Now, let's get that fucking armchair and that godawful mirror."

Walking backward, I watched as his eyes raked over my body. With a smirk, I turned, letting him get a view of my ass.

"Okay, mirror or chair?"

Jason didn't answer me, instead wrapping his arms around my midsection and pulling me against him. "You know, right now I'm thinking both."

"I don't follow?"

I felt him smirk against my hair. "Let me illustrate." Releasing me, Jason moved to the overstuffed leather armchair and pulled it across the floor, maneuvering it in front of the mirror.

He walked around and sat, gesturing for me to join him.

Threading my fingers through his, I let him lead me onto his lap.

With his hips between my thighs, I leaned forward, savoring the taut hardness of his torso. "Why, Mr. Coleman, this is terribly inappropriate."

Jason's hands found the hem of my sweater and slipped underneath. "You are more than welcome to say 'no'."

My breathing hitched as his fingers traced the curve of my spine. "Let's not get hasty now."

When his hand reached the clasp of my bra, I pulled away, standing.

Jason frowned, a look of worry on his face. "Wait, were you serious?"

"It's not that..." With both hands, I gripped the fabric of my shirt and raised it up, exposing my abdomen. "I just want you to appreciate that I wore these for you."

Peeling the garment off, I tossed it aside and turned. Slowly, teasing him, I slid my jeans over my hips, exposing the intricate lace geometry of the peekaboo bikini panties to his view.

As my pants landed in a pool around my feet, I stepped out of them, letting my palms rest on my thighs as I faced Jason.

The silent intensity of his stare took my breath away.

Nervously, I licked my lips. "Do you like them?"

The lingerie, a set of strappy, lace confections that contrasted nicely with my skin, was one of the fruits of my brief turn as a shoplifter. I'd gathered a nice hoard of stolen luxuries before a close call forced me into retirement. Most of them were still hidden in my closet for fear that Mom would question where they came from, and this was the first time I'd worn this particular bit of contraband.

"You wore these for me?"

The possessive heat in his gaze had me melting. Unable to speak, I nodded, stepping forward, between his legs.

Jason sat up, hooking his index finger under the waistband, against my skin. Pulling it up, he watched with fascination as the fabric tightened against my sex, stretching taut.