Chapter 57

The sky was the most soulless hue of grey when I pulled up to my apartment building, parking and stepping out as thunder sounded overhead.

"Hailey?"

Turning my head, I felt the first drops of rain hit my skin.

Up the stairs, Sierra sat, waiting.

"What are you doing here?"

She looked at me like I'd spoken in tongues. "What am I doing here? Are you kidding?!" Standing up, she walked down toward me, "You end our last call sounding like you're about to have a breakdown, refuse to answer your phone, and you have the gall to ask what I'm doing here?"

Ashamed, I murmured, "Sorry."

"Hailey, what the hell happened?"

I pressed my lips together, fighting the urge to cry. "He's moving - to New York."

"What?"

I met her stare, voice cracking, "It's not Amanda. It's his fucking job. They gave him a promotion, and now he has to move to New York." Glancing away, I continued, "The way he was talking, it sounds like it could happen any day now."

"Oh, shit."

Shaking my head, I looked up at the grim clouds above me, "I knew we didn't have forever, but out of all the ways I saw us ending, I never expected this."

"I'm sorry, Hales."

Sniffling, I shook off her concern, "It's fine. We both knew we were never going to be serious. It's my fault for getting too attached."

Sierra's eyes narrowed, "...how attached?"

I couldn't answer her, not with fresh tears so close to escaping.

"...you're in love with him."

It was a statement, not a question.

Unable to deny it, I nodded.

"Shit, Hales."

Sighing, I stared down at my feet, "Yeah. I know; I'm an idiot."

"You're not an idiot-"

"Yes, I am. I lost sight of what's real and started living in a fantasy land where he and I could find a way to beat the odds and be together." I snorted, "Isn't that the most idiotic thing you've ever heard?"

"No. Not by a long shot."

"There's no way-"

"You could go with him."

What?

Wordlessly, I met her gaze.

"You could go with him," she repeated. "New York is massive - nobody would give a shit about your ages, and nobody would know you were his daughter's friend."

A wild, thorny hope bloomed in my chest.

"I..." gulping air, I replied, "I don't even know how he feels about me. What if he doesn't want to?"

She shrugged, "Ask him."

"But-"

"What do you have to lose?"

"...I'm scared," I admitted.

Her eyes met mine, direct and unwavering, "Hailey, if you were brave enough to proposition him, then you're brave enough for this."

Quirking an eyebrow, I asked, "Where do you get off being so wise all of the sudden?"

"I've always been wise," Sierra replied, drily, "you just never noticed."