Chapter 66

I stood in front of my mirror, critiquing the girl in the glass.

The dress she wore suited her build, hugging her curves without squeezing them and stopping just above her knees.

Pity it'll be covered by that hideous fucking robe.

The ceremonial cap and gown sat folded on my bed, the same odious, orange hue as our school colors.

Frazzled nerves had me tugging at the hem, worried that the skirt would ride up, exposing my ass for one final high school humiliation.

I can do this. I can do this...

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts, and I called out, "Come in!"

Mom opened the door, beaming as she saw me.

"Baby, you look amazing!"

I chuckled, "Just wait - I'm gonna look like a rotting carrot when I walk across the stage."

"Oh, hush." Stepping inside, she asked, "So, are you ready? We're picking Dad up on the way to the ceremony, and Robert's meeting us there."

"Yeah," I nodded, "I just have to grab my shoes."

"Well, actually, wait," Mom walked up to me, "there is one more thing."

Glancing up, I asked, "What?"

She held out her hand, showing a simple diamond solitaire necklace and matching earrings.

"Wh-"

"They were mom's," she explained, a wistful smile on her lips. "She'd want you to have them."

Tears filled my eyes, threatening to spill out and ruin my makeup, "Oh my god..."

"Here, hold your hair up," she set the earrings aside, unclasping the necklace before placing it around my neck.

"There," she said, "I knew it'd look great on you."

Reaching up, I brushed my fingers over the small, brilliant stone, "Are you sure?"

"Very. Do you need help with the earrings?"

"No," I shook my head, "I've got it."

"Okay, well," Mom glanced back toward the door, "I think I'm going to use the bathroom before we go - god knows what it's going to be like at the school."

She left as I pinned the tiny studs into my earlobes, grabbing my things as I walked out to the living room.

On the coffee table, Mom's phone started ringing, an unfamiliar number flashing on the screen.

"Could you get that?" Mom called from the bathroom.

"Sure," I picked it up, sliding my thumb over the screen to accept the call.

Immediately, loud, enraged epithets screamed out of the speaker.

What the fuck?

Pulling it to my ear, I listened as the male voice ran through every insult under the sun, threatening all kinds of bloody, violent ends.

"-I'm going to make you regret being born-"

"Who is this?" I demanded.

"Oh, don't play dumb - you know exactly who this is, you thieving bitch!"

My heart stopped in my chest, ice water streaming through my veins.

"...Dad?"

The voice on the other end fell silent.