Chapter 49

As the door closed behind me, a buzzing sound interrupted the unnatural stillness of the empty house.

Flipping on the living room light, I pulled out my phone as I sidestepped Amanda's green suede couch, heading for the stairs.

A new message from Jason lit up the screen:

"Do me a favor - don't take off your dress."

Intrigue swirled within me, and I replied, "Oh?"

"I've got plans."

A tremulous shiver raced through me. "Anything for you." Biting my lip, I added, "Just so we're clear, though - if you ruin this dress, I'm going to be *so* pissed."

"I won't, promise."

Gentle heat warmed my cheeks, and I smiled as I climbed the stairs, "Are you there yet?"

"I'm leaving now."

"Okay, I'm picking up my stuff from Amanda's house - I'll be there in a bit."

"Hurry - I'll be waiting."

I paused, breathless on the landing as I read and reread Jason's words.

Goddamn.

Snatching my overnight bag off of Faith's bed, I practically raced for the door before I remembered.

Right...

Impatiently, I set the bag down on the entryway table, digging through my purse and pulling out a set of keys.

Nate's keys.

Striding through the living room, I slid open the door to the backyard, tossing the keychain onto the patio with a discordant jingle.

They'll find them in the morning and assume that he dropped them on accident.

It'll leave him stuck as a passenger until he sobers up.

Perfect.

With my promise to Jason fulfilled, I locked the door behind me, heading back to my waiting ride.

Stepping out of the car, I paid the driver with Amanda's money, telling him to keep the change to calm my uneasy conscience.

As he drove away, I walked up to the door, heart pounding against my ribcage.

With a shaking hand, I reached up and knocked.

"Come in!" Jason's voice called from inside.

Twisting the knob, I was greeted by the sight of Jason setting a lit candle on the fireplace mantle. There, it joined the mismatched pair that already burned, casting a low, golden light in the darkened living room.

Setting my bag by the door, I twisted the deadbolt behind me, asking, "What's this?"

"Hang on," Jason walked across the carpet and onto the hardwood of the bright kitchen, "I just have one more."

"Candle?"

"Yeah - give me a second, I'm trying to create atmosphere..."

"Oh?" I laughed, "I mean, I appreciate the effort-"

"Do you think I should spread them out more? This isn't exactly the effect I was going for."

"What effect?"

Looking up as he struck a match, Jason smiled secretively as the tiny flame highlighted the planes of his face. "You'll see."

I eyed him curiously, then shrugged, "Okay, fine - surprise me. In the meantime, I know you wanted me to keep the dress on, but can I take off my shoes? My feet are killing me."