Chapter 68

"Jason."

Their doors swung shut, and they began to make their way toward us.

Immediately, I noticed the way Faith swayed as she walked, stumbling over nothing. Jason kept pace next to her, keeping a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, Bitches!" Faith called out as she drew close.

"Uh, hi, Faith." My eyes darted from her to Jason.

He sighed, "Amanda and I agreed that she could have a couple drinks as long as she wasn't driving. Apparently, she had more than a 'couple'."

"Oh, boy," Sierra stood, putting her arm around Faith's waist, directing her inside, "how does some water sound?"

The door closed behind them, and panic filled me as Jason and I were left alone.

He rested his hands in his jean pockets, "How have you been?"

I shrugged, opting for honesty, "Surviving."

His eyes were sad, sympathetic, "I was sorry to hear about your grandmother. I wanted to be at the funeral, but I... thought that would raise too many questions."

"It would have been a little weird," I agreed.

"Yeah." Awkward silence filled the air, and he looked around, "This is a nice place. Faith said it was your grandfather's?"

I nodded, "Yeah, paternal."

"Oh?"

Not wanting to explain, I shook my head dismissively, "It's a long story."

"Okay."

Out of the million things I wanted to say to him, all weighing heavily on my tongue, in that moment, I couldn't manage to utter any.

"Um," Jason reached back, digging into his back pocket, "I forgot to give you this."

He pulled out an envelope, handing it to me.

Confused, I asked, "What is it?"

"Your payment for the storage room project. I meant to give it to you on that Sunday, but I guess I forgot."

Thumbing open the flap, my eyes widened.

"Jason, this is too much."

He looked slightly abashed, "I might have rounded up. You know, as a graduation gift?"

"Well," I folded it back down, meeting his gaze, "thank you."

He smiled, rueful, "I should be the one thanking you."

Frowning, I asked, "What?"

"For the past couple months." He paused, licking his lips, "Before that, I'd been in this rut, just stagnant and bored, honestly. The storage room was a part of it." His mouth quirked in a small smile, "then, when you... volunteered to help out, I don't know, I guess it just sort of jump started something in me."

I felt warmth flush through me as I realized-

-he's not talking about the storage room.

"I just- I think I needed somebody to give me a kick in the ass, to get me out of that rut, and I just want to thank you for being that person."

"Well," I grinned, unsure, "you're welcome?" Chuckling, I said, "I really don't know what to say to that."

Jason shrugged, "You don't have to say anything, I just wanted you to know."

Hot pressure built behind my eyes, and for a moment, I couldn't speak.

"Uh, anyway," he looked toward the house, "I should probably go in there and apologize for my daughter."