Chapter 67

Out on the patio, the warm, flickering firelight washed over me. Curled up in the padded wicker armchair, I watched as the glowing sunset gave way to stars.

Around the fire, conversation flowed as my mother and grandfathers chatted with the remaining guests.

"Hailey?"

Perking up, I asked, "Sorry?"

The woman, one of Mom's coworkers, repeated her question, "I was just wondering what your plans are for next year?"

"Um," I sat up, "Community college."

"Oh? Any subject in particular?" Her tone was polite, but nothing more.

I glanced at Robert, remembering our first, disastrous conversation, "Well, I was just looking to take some gen eds, then maybe after that I might think about transferring."

Robert smirked, a sly twinkle in his eyes.

The woman went through the usual niceties, and I nodded, smiling at the words I'd heard a dozen times over.

Behind my smile, I wondered what, truly, the next year would bring.

The world lay, spread out before me, vast and beautiful and terrifying.

My spirits dropped, wondering what it mattered.

Who cares what it's bringing? It's taking Jason.

Melancholy settled over me, cloying and heavy.

Next to me, Mom nudged my elbow with hers.

Turning, I asked, "Hmm?"

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, "Just tired."

Across the fire, Grandpa Curtis laughed raucously, toasting Robert with his drink, "You know what? I'll take you up on that!"

Mom asked, "Take him up on what, Dad?"

Robert smiled, toasting back, "We're going golfing!"

She raised a skeptical brow, "Golfing? Dad, you've never been golfing in your life."

"True," he answered, "But, apparently there's more to it than hitting little balls with metal sticks-"

"There is," Robert admitted.

"-there's also fresh air, sunshine, and driving around on one of those little carts while people bring you beer!"

Robert turned to Mom, "He can have beer, right?"

I saw her fighting back a grin, "In moderation? Sure."

Grandpa Curtis chuckled, "See? I even have doctor's approval-"

"Nurse's tentative approval," Mom corrected.

"Practically the same thing," he shrugged.

Mom sighed, rolling her eyes.

"Careful," I teased, "they'll get stuck like that."

She glared for a moment before breaking into muffled giggles.

Sitting back, I saw a vision of my future without Jason, and it wasn't all grey and lifeless and dull.

As much as I feared a future without Jason, it wasn't the end of the world.

Listening to the laughter around the firepit, I realized-

I may be losing the man I love, but that doesn't mean I'll be living a life without it...

It'll just be a different kind.

Tucking my legs beneath me, I felt the warmth of the fire as I tuned into the conversation happening around the patio.