Chapter 53

I was sitting in Pre-Calc, reviewing for our final exam, when my phone buzzed.

Glancing down at the screen, I saw that Sierra had sent a one-line message:

"Hey, can you come over later?"

Picking it up, I replied, "I have work after school, but I'm free around 8?"

Her answer came moments later: "See you then!"

I stared at it for a few seconds, bothered by something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Setting it down, I tried to get back to work, but as I studied, I felt the worry lingering in my brain.

Then, I realized.

She's never invited me to come over alone before...

The sun was setting behind me, lighting the clouds in the sky with fluorescent pinks, oranges and yellows. Standing at Sierra's front porch, I waited for someone to answer the bell.

This time, it was her father.

The tall, slim, greying man stepped back to let me pass, "Oh, hi Hailey - Sierra mentioned that you were coming over."

As I walked inside, uneasiness bubbled in my stomach. "Yeah, is that okay?"

"Of course!" He closed the door behind me, "I'm always glad to see her hanging out with people who aren't Faith."

Awkwardness froze my muscles as I tried to smile. "Anyway, I guess I'll go head up."

"Actually, she's in the basement."

"The basement?" I asked.

"She's been spending a most of the afternoon in the gym."

"Oh, okay - thanks!" I turned, making my way to the stairs.

Downstairs, I crossed the cozy family room that had hosted so many movie nights and sleepovers.

There was a rapid flat thudding sound that grew louder as I went. I didn't understand it until I was on the far side of the space and looking through the slightly ajar door.

"Sierra?"

She stood with her back to me, grunting and cursing as she attacked the punching bag that hung from the black steel stand.

"Sierra?" I walked closer, noticing her earbuds but not wanting to startle her-

-not with the way she's hitting that bag...

Standing out of arm's reach, I yelled, "Sierra!"

Startled, she jumped, pivoting as she landed. As she caught sight of me, she shouted, "Hailey?"

Pointing to my ears, I mouthed, "You're yelling."

She rolled her eyes, pulling her hands out of her gloves and removing the earbuds. "Sorry, I was in the zone."

I nodded, "Seemed like it." Looking over at the bag, I asked, "Since when do you box? I thought that was your mom's thing?"

"Well," Sierra walked over to pick up a bottle of water, "she's trying to talk me into taking a self-defense or kickboxing class. Even spent some time teaching me the right way to punch." Twisting the lid off, she tipped it back for a long drink.

"Oh?"

She swallowed, wiping her mouth on the back of her wrist. "I think I'm going to do it?" Shrugging, she added, "I mean, nothing says, 'I'm reclaiming my power,' quite like learning how to well and properly beat the shit out of assholes."