Chapter 17

The morning light was faint through the blinds, and despite the chill air, I was warm beneath the covers of Jason Coleman's bed.

Of course, it helped that Jason himself was curled up behind me, one possessive arm holding my body against his.

As I woke more fully, a wicked smile overtook me.

His hand was cupping my breast.

Sighing with contentment, I nestled against the pillow, fully intending to fall back asleep.

Then, his thumb brushed across my nipple, and I realized-

"You're awake?"

Jason face pressed against my hair, and he breathed me in. "I've been awake."

I raised an eyebrow and asked, "So you chose to lay here with your hand on my tit?"

"Baby, there's nowhere else I'd rather be."

Twisting around, I looked at him.

"You suave motherfucker."

He grinned. "You liked that?"

Chuckling, I nodded. "That was smooth as hell."

"Thanks." Moving his hand down to my ass, he asked, "So, what are you thinking for breakfast? We could keep it simple with scrambled eggs and bacon, or I could make omelets?"

His casual use of the word "we" set my heart racing with emotions I didn't want to examine.

Feigning annoyance, I asked, "You really woke up next to me, both of us completely naked, and your first thought was breakfast?" Scoffing, I muttered, "I think I'm insulted..."

A slow heat kindled in his eyes, and he squeezed my buttock. "I didn't want to presume..."

Reaching up, I stroked his stubbled jawline. "Jason, if I'm naked in your bed, it's because I want to fuck you – no presumption needed."

His eyes darkened as he climbed over me, pressing my back into the mattress. "That's all I needed to hear."

Later, we were at the breakfast bar finishing our omelets, idly talking about nothing when we were interrupted by the inopportune ringing of my phone. Glancing over, I frowned when I read who was calling.

I picked it up, "Tara? Is something wrong?"

"Hi Hailey! Um, so I know that I promised to cover your shift today?"

I felt my heart sinking in my chest.

Oh, fuck.

"Tara, please don't-"

"I'm so sorry, man, but something's come up-"

"You promised-"

"I know – I'll make it up to you-"

"Tara, the shift starts in an hour! You couldn't at least have given me more notice?"

"I'm sorry! It's just that my boyfriend's car won't start, and he..."

I stared up at the ceiling, seething as she spewed out a load of pure, undiluted bullshit. She'd probably woken up with a hangover and decided that she didn't feel like going into work.

Interrupting her breathless monologue, I said, "Whatever. It's fine – I can make it in."

Tara launched into some insincere platitudes, and I gave whatever stock responses I thought would get her off of the phone the fastest.

As I ended the call, I looked over at Jason, apologetic. "So..."

"- we're going to have to cut the weekend short?"

I sighed, "Yeah. Fuck. I knew better than to trust her, but there was no one else I could ask."

"Hailey, it's okay – you don't have to apologize."

"You're sure?"

"Positive." Leaning over, he pressed a soft kiss against my cheek. "Go get dressed – I'll drive you back to your car."

Groaning, I stood, "I didn't pack any work clothes – I'm going to have to wear my outfit from Friday..." Frustrated and grumbling to myself, I trudged into the bedroom, less than thrilled about the abrupt conclusion to our rendezvous.

The ambient music switched, and to my nonexistent surprise, a pop song from twenty years ago began playing.

It had already played twice so far. With my luck, it would play at least once more before I was allowed to leave.

I sighed, breathing in the pungent but indefinable fragrance of retail hell.

"Hey, Gina, I'm taking my break, okay?" I called over the racks of clothing at the woman who'd been helping me organize the men's fitting rooms.

Nodding, she waved me away as I walked toward the employee lounge.

In my locker, I pulled out my purse to check my phone, then froze.

There, after about half a dozen messages from Faith, was one bone-chilling text from Mom

"Come home ASAP. We need to talk."