Chapter 64

Monday morning found me sitting in the driver's seat of the Beast, staring at the front doors of my school, debating the merits of ditching.

Mom had sounded so reasonable the night before, convincing me that if I missed the last few days of my high school career, I'd regret it.

Stewing in that car, I questioned her wisdom.

"Hey!"

Snapping my head to the right, I saw Sierra knocking on the passenger side window.

I pressed the button, rolling it down as I sighed, "Remind me why I'm here again?"

Sierra smiled, "Because your mother convinced you it was a good idea? Just like mine did to me?"

Leveling my stare at the brick-fronted building, I groaned.

"Tell you what-" Sierra offered, "-if we get to lunch and we're miserable, we'll skip and spend the rest of the day at the movies?"

Cocking an eyebrow, I said, "I'm going to hold you to that."

I rolled up the window, locking the doors as I stepped out and slung my backpack over my shoulder.

Meeting Sierra on the other side, we started walking as I asked, "So, did I miss anything interesting while I was out?"

She stiffened next to me.

"What?"

"Well..." She looked away as we began to cross the parking lot.

"What, Sierra?"

"Are you sure you want to know?"

"Yes?" Anxiety rose within me, "Seriously, you're freaking me out."

Turning toward me, Sierra spoke quietly, "So, you know how Rowan and her friends were weird about you that day at the mall?"

It seemed like a lifetime ago, but I nodded, "Yeah?"

"I found out why."

Ice water filled my veins, "Why?"

Taking a breath, she eyed me warily, "There's a rumor going around."

Gritting my teeth, I asked, "About?"

"About what you and Nate did after Prom."

"What?" I frowned, "We didn't do anything-"

"I know that, but that's not stopping Nate and his lackeys from telling everyone that you did some depraved shit to him that night."

"Wh-"

"Yeah. I've been trying to set the record straight, but it's not doing much."

Stunned, my memory flashed back to prom, to the cold, hateful look in his eyes-

-he wanted revenge.

Disbelief and rage warred within me, "That motherfucker-"

"I know."

We reached the doors, and as Sierra pulled one open, I followed her inside, acutely conscious of the eyes that turned to watch me.

"You sure we have to wait until lunch?" I asked, only half joking.

"Just hang in there. You can do this."

Across the lobby, Owen waved, standing next to Zane. Heading toward them, I could hear the giddy whispers I left in my wake.

"Hey, you're back!" Owen greeted.

"For better or worse," I muttered.

His enthusiasm faded, "So, you heard, huh?"