Chapter 58

Standing in the shower, I let the water wash down my back, hoping against hope that it would take my worries with it.

I'd spent my shift last night in a daze, agonizing over the choices that lay before me.

If the stars miraculously aligned and Jason felt the same way about me, then moving to New York with him would present some major roadblocks.

Namely, my mother.

Explaining things to her would make pulling teeth look fun-

-but I could do it. She might get pissed, but she wouldn't stay pissed...

Well, I reasoned, she could, but I don't think she would..

Still, it was a risk I was willing to take, especially when the reward was living with Jason Coleman, spending each night in his bed...

In our bed...

A delicious ache throbbed in my chest,

Closing my eyes, I could see a future so close, so real that I could almost touch it.

I just needed the courage to make it real.

Reaching forward, I twisted the knob, shutting off the water. As I stepped out of the shower, droplets trickled down my skin, making me shiver in the steamy air.

Towel in hand, I began to squeeze the moisture out of my hair, trying to slow the racing of my pulse.

As the mirror unfogged, I dried off, applying a softly scented moisturizer before styling my hair.

Letting my thoughts wander into more salacious territory, I grinned, thinking about the other choices I'd been debating.

I'm going to have Jason Coleman tied up and at my mercy - what degenerate thrills could I give him?

Anticipation burned through me, and I thought about the little black bag sitting on my bed, the fruits of a late-night stop at a tawdry "adult entertainment store" on my way home.

I can't wait to see his reaction to that...

Throwing on my robe, I walked out into the hallway, ready to put on the finishing touches in the privacy of my bedroom.

Stepping out into the living room, I brushed my hand over my work clothes, hoping the dark fabric did enough to conceal the scandalous lingerie beneath it.

"Okay, Mom, I'm heading out," I kept my voice light, trying to hide my nerves.

In the kitchen, Mom looked up from the salad she was preparing for lunch with my grandparents, "Are you sure you can't come today?"

I sighed, "Tara promised me that if I cover her shift today, then she'll take mine the day after Graduation."

Total fucking lie. I already had that entire weekend off, but Mom didn't need to know what I was actually doing...

She met my gaze, "Mom's really looking forward to hearing stories about Prom, and Dad- well, you know..."

Guilt soured in my gut. "Yeah, I know."

Despite the lifestyle changes, his most recent checkup hadn't been optimistic.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be a nag-"

"-but they're not going to be around forever; I know. It would just be kind of a buzzkill to go through graduation knowing that I'm going to have to be in the store the very next day."