Chapter 11

I was tucking in the new sheets on my bed when I heard a knock on the wall behind me.

Turning, I saw my mother, Denise standing in the open doorway.

"Just doing a little late-night cleaning?" She asked.

I shrugged. "Procrastinating. I've got a paper due tomorrow, and I really don't want to work on it."

It wasn't entirely false. I did have a paper due tomorrow – I'd just finished it yesterday. My mom didn't need to know that I was cleaning my room because I had a video date with Jason Coleman.

I mean, it would really kill the mood to have piles of dirty laundry in the background.

And I'd feel better if I was being naughty on fresh sheets.

And the room just looked nicer when it was recently vacuumed.

The end result was that my bedroom was cleaner than it had been in months.

"You put it off until the night before?" She shook her head, "Honey, you know better than that."

"I know," I lied, "It's not difficult, it's just tedious and I was just feeling really blah this week."

She sighed. "Alright. Just remember to get some sleep and keep it down – I'm working a double tomorrow."

That reminds me... "Hey, I meant to ask earlier, but would it be okay if I stayed over at Faith's this weekend?"

"Again?" The disapproval in her voice was clear. "You just had a sleepover last weekend."

Mom had never really warmed to Faith. Unlike me, she'd caught on to Faith's bossy entitlement from the start.

She'd tried to warn me.

Maybe, if I'd listened, I'd have some actual friends instead of a pair of nemeses that treated me like shit.

"Faith wants to go prom dress shopping."

"And that's going to take all weekend?"

I chuckled, "The way Faith does things? Yeah."

She looked away, frowning. "Well, what does her father think about it?"

"Her dress?"

"No – about you being over there so often."

My mind flashed back to last weekend...

"He seems fine with it."

"Are you sure? I don't want you abusing his hospitality."

Considering the fact that his "hospitality" included fucking me senseless, I was reasonably certain that it wasn't an issue.

"It's fine, Mom. Faith invited me over – if he's got a problem with it, he'll talk to her."

"Okay," she muttered, still obviously uneasy, "I'm going to head off to bed. Don't stay up too late, alright?"

"I won't. Love you, Mom."

She walked over and hugged me, pressing a kiss to my temple. "Love you too, hun – night!"

I sighed as she left. Deceiving her always left a bad taste in my mouth, but there were just some things that mothers didn't need to know about their daughters.

Like me being a little slut for Faith's daddy...

I closed the door behind her, locking it quietly. Getting dolled up for Jason would take some time, and I didn't want to be interrupted.

The clock on my phone read 11:58 when I placed my earbuds in my ears.