Chapter 69

The commotion inside the house settled down, and in the distance, I heard the sound of the front door closing.

Standing, I said, "I'm going to go check on them."

Across the patio, Mom waved me away, while Sierra grilled Robert about his brisket recipe.

Passing through the house, I stopped at the door to see Jason wrestling a sullen Faith into the backseat of his Mercedes. She slumped over, laying across the back as he closed the door behind her.

Turning, he saw me, and paused.

Not knowing what to do, I waved.

Glancing behind him, Jason crossed the driveway, following me inside.

"Hey," he said, as the door shut behind him.

"Hey," I replied, "I'm sorry about that."

"Don't apologize for her," he shook his head, "she's old enough to choose how she acts."

"Still."

Our eyes met, and there was a sadness in his that mirrored my own.

He swallowed, hesitating, "This is it for us, isn't it?"

Much as I wanted to deny it, I couldn't.

Tears filled my eyes, and I nodded, "I think so."

"Fuck," Jason shook his head, "I- I really saw this going differently."

I chuckled, humorless, "So did I."

My gaze swept over him, drinking him in, soaking up every detail while I could.

Sighing, he raised a hand, stroking my cheek, "Call me if you're ever in New York?"

"Okay," I whispered, knowing even as I said it that I was lying.

The warmth of his hand against my skin sparked a need within me, and I leaned in, raising up to claim one last kiss.

Soft, gentle, he parted my lips, tasting me slowly, savoring me as I breathed him in like a drowning man.

My heart broke as I pulled away, whispering against him, "Goodbye, Jason."

I moved back, each step like knives in my feet.

Jason's expression was unfathomable, "Goodbye, Hailey."

And then, the floorboards creaked.

Turning, I saw my mother standing at the other end of the entryway like a statue, frozen, and unmoving.

Oh, fuck-

"Mom-"

She didn't look at me, didn't seem to register that I had spoken.

Addressing Jason, she spoke in a voice that left no room for argument, "You need to leave."

"Mom!"

"Now, Coleman, while you can still walk."

Jason's eyes darted to me, apologetic, before turning the doorknob and walking out.

Icy silence filled the foyer as I tried to find the words to explain.

"Look, I know-"

Mom shook her head, averting her eyes away from me, "We will talk when we get home."

"Mom-"

"Hailey, it's taking every ounce of willpower that I have not to chase after that filthy, cradle-robbing bastard and kneecap his ass! We will talk when we get home!"