Chapter 20

Freya's POV

A few more weeks passed and I was 20 weeks pregnant. Honestly, I was very tired and couldn't for the life of me get to sleep for more than a few hours every night. I was oddly itchy a lot and obviously, I had gained some weight.

I was still spending time at the Avengers compound as it was a very comfortable place to stay. Nat and Steve talked to me often and we did stuff together a lot. It was a lot of fun being around people who weren't playing video games all day and drinking like Thor. At least if Nat and Steve were playing video games they let me join.

Eventually, Steve moved out so it was just Nat and me in the compound. I didn't mind but I did miss Steve and everyone else. Tony had moved out with Pepper and she had recently gotten pregnant too which was exciting. Bruce was doing his own thing and let's just say that Clint was...dealing with everything in his own way. A very stabby killy kinda way but his own way nevertheless. Rocket, Nebula, Rhodey and Carol were all out in the world helping people recover from everything that had happened.

Natasha often offered to help out with anything but I insisted on trying to do stuff myself. I didn't want to be a burden on her so we just hung out like nothing was different. We often would just sit in silence because we were both thinking of things too terrible to say out loud.

After a few more weeks of doing nothing special Steve arrived for one last visit before I went back to New Asgard and the house that was built for me. Steve was going to drive me there on his way home even though it was massively out of his way. I was now 26 weeks pregnant and I was ready for the baby to leave my body.

I waddled down the hall towards the sounds of Steve and Nat talking in the living room. I hadn't realized how much I missed hearing the sounds of multiple conversations going on at once. I walked into the living room, groaning softly as I was rather uncomfortable, and saw Steve sitting across from Nat.

I announced myself to them and sat with them. "Freya, are you alright?" Steve asked me and I nodded.

"I'm really tired and uncomfortable." I said to him and he nodded sympathetically at me. "I'm excited though," I added with a bright smile. That was true. I was very very excited.

"You should be. I'm excited for you," Steve said then turned to Nat. "Does she have mum brain?" He asked her and Nat nodded slowly and gave me a cheeky smile.

"Hey! It's not that bad!" I said and crossed my arms over my chest, pouting at her words like a child. I don't have mum brain. I whined in my mind.

"Where's your water bottle?" Natasha asked me and as if a light turned on in my head.

"That's what I've been looking for!" I said and got up to find it. As I left I heard Natasha explaining my situation to him a bit more. Once I found my bottle, in a cupboard near the sink, I hurried back to Steve and Nat. "Steve, how's the group?" I asked and sat down with minimal sound effects.

"It's good, the group members are slowly moving onwards from the events." He said and continued to talk about it and how he was helping them. I listened to him and smiled when he smiled. I was happy to see them all trying to keep living after a few months of nothing helpful being done.

Over the last few months, the names of the bliped were carved into slabs of stone and up for display. It made those who hadn't bliped feel better about everything. I'm not sure how helpful it was as I felt no better about Peter.

"Have you got a name for your baby?" Steve asked me and I nodded happily but said nothing. "Are you going to tell us?" He provoked me to tell but I shook my head.

"Nope." I said and smiled cheekily. "Not until she is born." I said and hoped they would pick up on the detail I snuck in there. They did.

"SHE?! You're having a girl?" Nat asked and I nodded. She smiled, jumped up and pulled me into a hug. "Another female." She said in a quiet whisper and I giggled softly. "Why didn't you tell me earlier!" She yelled and gave me a squeeze before attempting to let me go.

Steve smiled and joined the hug. "I'm so excited for you Freya." He said and then broke the hug as it was getting hard for me to breathe. They were hugging me very tight but it felt nice. I didn't want them to ever let go but I knew they would have to sooner or later.

"I can't wait, I just wish Peter was here." I said and smiled sadly. "He would have been a great dad." I mumbled and Nat and Steve hugged me again as a couple of tears tried to escape but I didn't let them.

"We will get him back one day. Your baby will meet her father." I believe it was Steve who spoke. I didn't believe him at first but I held onto hope that one day my baby would have her father. They let me go and I went to my room and, once being reminded, took my water bottle with me. I laid on the bed and thought of the good times I shared with Peter. It made me so sad to think about him but there was also a hint of happiness. Peter and I had had so much fun together and we truly loved each other to no end. I still loved him even though he was no longer with me physically.

******

A few hours later Steve came into my room and offered to drive me back to New Asgard. He helped me pack and then drove me to my new house that would be all mine. I was glad to go back to New Asgard but I was a little nervous seeing Thor again.

When we got there I looked at the house and Steve joined me to have a look. It was a beautiful, as the Midgardians call it, Victorian-style cottage. The kitchen was beautiful and so was the living room which had a fireplace. Little photo frames were on the mantelpiece above the fireplace which I found so cute. I went to my room and smiled brightly. The bed was perfect and had plenty of places to store my books around the headboard. The covers were a jade green with pretty purple accents on it. There were many bookshelves which seemed to be bolted to the wall for my child's safety.

There was a spare room which was very nice and looked similar to my room just with different coloured bed sheets and almost empty bookshelves that either I or whoever stayed in that room could fill up.

After admiring my room I went to my babies. The walls were a soft pastel yellow which I liked and there was a white wooden crib along a wall that had fairy lights above it. There was a chair for me to sit in when breastfeeding which was a lilac purple and everything else I could need. Anything wooden was painted white but my favorite part of the room was a toy chest. It was mainly white but it was painted to look like a cupcake. Inside toys of dolls, cars, trains, soft toys and anything else you could imagine where in there. There was a small bookshelf that was just short of my hip that had cute little children's books in it and a small blanket which had my daughters first name embroded onto it. I quickly hid the blanket from Steve so he wouldn't see the name I had picked.

"This is a very nice house," Steve said as he entered the room.

"It's perfect," I answered and sat down in the chair which had a nice little table next to it. Steve smiled and we hung out for a bit in my new house. He helped me unpack and he went and got a few main groceries for me.

By the time everything was ready it was dinner time so we went out and got food then we ate together. After eating he went home telling me to call if I needed anything at all. I promised I would and enjoyed a peaceful sleep in my new and very comfortable bed. 

Published: 21.2.2022