Chapter 35

It's sad 🥺

Freya's POV

They all suited up and got ready to go into the past to find the weird infinity stones. We knew where the stone where being kept and they were but into three groups to get them. I was staying behind with Gersemi as she was to young to be alone. Gersemi, come back into the main room please, The others are going, I thought and hoped she heard me.

Coming! She thought and soon she was back in the room with us. "Auntie Tasha, are you going to?" Gersemi asked and Nat picked her up.

"I am my little Lisichka," Nat said and Semi smiled softly. She liked that nickname. "We'll come back and bring your dad back," Nat added and Gersemi's face lit up.

"Do you promise?" Semi asked and Nat nodded softly.

"I promise," Nat said and put Gersemi on the ground. I didn't think it was a good idea promising Gersemi anything but I appreciated her trying to be nice to Gersemi. Nat and everyone else got on the weird machine and got ready to go.

"Good luck guys!" I yelled and picked Gersemi up so she could see them better. They waved goodbye to us and I looked right at Tony. "Thank you" I mouthed and he nodded in response.

"Bye Auntie Tasha, Bye Uncle Steve, bye everybody," Gersemi said and waved so hard it looked like her wrist was broken.

"Bye Semi," Steve said and Gersemi smiled again.

"See you soon Little Lisichka," Nat said and gave me a happy little nod. They disappeared and now all Gersemi and I had to do was wait. We would only be waiting a few mintues so we played some music and just hung out together.

Time Jump

A loud whoosh told us everyone was back and we rushed over to the machine, stopping the music too. Everyone was back and accounted for at first glance but I quickly noticed someone was missing. Clint dropped to his knees and I watched as he began to cry softly.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asked but Clint just shook his head. I looked at Gersemi to see she was very confused and I knew she felt something was wrong. I picked her up and walked over to everyone else as they stepped off the machine.

"What happened?" I asked Clint and he looked right at me with the most devastated look I had ever seen.

"It was a soul for a soul." He said which was tricky to understand but we got it. Gersemi looked at me and then at everyone else. She must have understood what had happened because she started sobbing.

"She promised me, mumma," Gersemi whispered and hid her head in my neck. "Mumma she promised," Gersemi said again and I turned and walked away from the others. I held Semi tight and refused to let her see my own tears.

"I know Semi, I know," I said and rubbed her back lightly. I saw Steve looking at us and I shook my head, telling him not to come near us. Gersemi kept crying and saying that Nat had promised her.

Everyone slowly dispersed and went to their own rooms. I took Gersemi outside as we both needed some air. We sat down on a shady patch of grass and she sat in my lap with her head on my shoulder.

"Auntie Tasha promised me. Who's going to call me 'Little Lisichka' now?" Gersemi asked and I sighed softly. "I wanna go home," She added and wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

"I know Semi, it's hard." I said and held my daughter tighter. "I'm so sorry," I muttered and cried silently.

We must have sat there for ages, because next thing I know it's getting dark and Steve has come to find us. "Hi Steve," I said as I carefully stood up, trying not to disturb Semi too much as she was falling asleep.

"Hi Freya," He said and offered to take Gersemi from me as I was struggling to get up. I let him and stood up carefully. Gersemi rested her head on Steve's shoulder and she held Steve's collar tightly. We walked back inside and Steve took Gersemi to her room while I stayed in the main room, looking at the machine angrily.

I picked up a random tool and chucked it at a wall, screaming in the process. I heard the tool clatter into other metal things and the smashing of something glass but I didn't turn to check what I broke. I picked up a wrench and went to throw it when Steve stopped me. "Do you plan on breaking every window?" He asked and I turned to face him, throwing the wrench onto a nearby tool bench. I shrugged softly and went to sit down.

"Sorry...I'm just frustrated and..." I said but I couldn't think of the right words.

"I know what you mean," Steve said and sat next to me.

I sighed heavily, "We have to win this now. We just have to." I said and Steve murmured an agreement. "She would want us to finish what we started," I said and Steve nodded softly. "She once said that 'we owe it to everyone who is not in this room, to try' and she is right. We owe it to her to try." I said, quoting her from earlier.

"We will. For her, for Peter and for all those families who lost people," Steve said and I agreed with him.

"I'm gonna head to bed. Sorry about the..." I said gesturing over to the pile of tools and glass I had made from throwing stuff. I had broken a glass window in the door when I had thrown the tool. Steve nodded and I went to bed.

Published: 17.1.2023

First chapter of the year!!