Chapter 23

Freya's POV

I had moved from the hospital to the Avengers compound where I would be staying for a few weeks. Then I would move to my cottage in New Asgard where Mrs Stone would help me for a few more weeks so that by the time Gersemi was around 7 months old Mrs Stone would come around once a week to check on us.

Besides the crying and constant need to be changed, I was very happy to be at home with my baby. I know screaming, crying and needing me for everything is normal but it got really hard to keep doing something when I really needed to rest. I just wanted to sleep but I couldn't. No time for sleeping, at least for me. Even when Gersemi was sleeping there was something else that needed to be done.

When Gersemi woke me up for the tenth time that night, Jarvis must have known how beaten down I was because Nat came into the room. I had walked from my bed to the crib to tend to my crying baby. I was cradling Gersemi in my arms and bouncing her up and down when Nat carefully took her from me. "Come back to your bed," Nat said and guided me to my bed while she still held Gersemi in her arms.

"But Semi needs me," I mumbled but it was barely legible as I was so tired. Nat bounced Semi up and down to calm her and it was working. The screams were quieting and the tears were slowing. I smiled at the sight of Nat holding my baby so delicately.

"As long as she doesn't need feeding, she will have to make do with me," Nat said and I chuckled softly. "Sleep," She said and I did exactly that.

Nat's POV

Freya fell asleep and I smiled softly. Jarvis had told me how many times Freya had gotten up and that she really needed rest. I had gone into her room and now Freya was asleep in her bed and Gersemi was on my lap as I sat on my lounge. Gersemi was slowly falling asleep as I bounced her up and down. She seemed to enjoy it.

Gersemi fell asleep in my arms and I smiled at her. She was really cute but I would never admit that to anyone. Once she was properly asleep I got myself comfortable on the lounge and prepared myself to stay awake. I knew I should have put her in the cot but I didn't want to risk waking Freya. It wasn't too hard for me to stay awake.

******

The sun shone through my window and I smiled. Gersemi had only woken up a few times since I took her and I could get her back to sleep but when she woke up this time I knew she was hungry. I wanted to let Freya sleep more but I can't help feed the child as her mother can. My body doesn't work like that anymore and we didn't have any baby formulas here. I carried Gersemi to Freya's room and slowly opened the door.

As soon as Freya heard her daughter she woke up. Freya looked better and she came and took Gersemi off of me. "Thank you, Nat," She said and I nodded at her. Freya then went over to her bed, sat on the edge and prepared to feed Gersemi. I left the room and went to make us breakfast.

I made a simple breakfast and got everything ready for Freya. I put the highchair next to Freya's seat and even though Gersemi couldn't eat any food she still sat with us when we ate. Freya came into the kitchen and both her and Semi were dressed. They sat down and Freya started eating. "What's happening today?" I asked Freya just to make conversation.

"Well Uncle Thor was meant to come over but we will see." She said and Gersemi giggled softly for no reason. Freya and I chuckled and that made Gersemi giggle more. Semi was strangely happy for someone with barely any sleep.

******

Thor did come over but it was obvious he wasn't okay. He was a lot louder than normal, and that's saying something, he wasn't gentle when he went to hold Gersemi and made her cry. I know crying is natural for babies but even I was distressed being around Thor so I hate to think how distressed Gersemi and Freya were.

Once Thor had been here for an hour Freya refused to let Gersemi out of her arms. Freya held her daughter close to her chest and cooed at her. Gersemi was not calming down at all after lunch so when I saw the distress in Freya's and Gersemi's faces I got really protective. When I saw a tear roll down Freya's face I snapped. I forced Thor out and locked the door so he would get the message. I had no idea what was going on with him but he needed to talk to someone about this. He needed someone to talk to about what was going on with him.

"Are you alright Freya?" I asked her and she shook her head. I sat next to her and put my arm carefully around her. "I don't know what's happened to Thor but he's not coming back until he has calmed down." I said and Gersemi took my finger in her tiny hand.

"Sorry," Freya said and wiped her eyes free from tears. "I'm just feeling overwhelmed and I think Semi is too." She said and kissed Semi's forehead.

Once Gersemi had her afternoon feed, Freya and Semi went to bed. While they did that I called the others to check up on how everything was with them.

I may have also warned them about Thor. Steve was very angry to find out he had been so rude and careless around Freya and Semi. "Why was he acting like that around her? Doesn't he know how to be careful around babies?" Steve said in almost a yell once it was just me and him on the call.

"Ssshhhh," I growled and glared at him. "They are sleeping and if you do so much as wake that child god help you." I growled and he nodded in understanding. "Freya seems depressed, like more than she should be." I said and Steve gave me a questioning look so I explained it to him. "Before and after a birth parents can have post-parental depression. She seems more depressed than she should be." I said to help him understand.

"Should we ask her about it?" He asked and I shook my head. "You just don't want to talk to her about it do you?" He asked and I nodded softly. I didn't know how to approach that sort of conversation with her.

"I also don't want to wake that child up." I said and he chuckled softly. "If only he was here with her." I said and he nodded but I could tell he was unsure. Technically Freya had two men who she needed back in her life. "She needs them both but seeing Peter would make her feel better. Seeing Peter would make everything okay again." I said and Steve gave me a nod of agreement.

Published: 20.6.2022